• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird sounds..... (1 Viewer)

Indio

I'm new to birding but have always had an interest.

I was walking through Hampstead Heath on Thursday night at around 11pm and heard 2 bird sounds one sounded like some kind of Owl and the other a bird of prey.

I've got a handheld recorder but it didn't pick up the sounds. I'll try again if I can find them.

Anyone know what these birds are likely to be?
Cheers

Indio

Tawny Owl for both? Territorial “hooting” (= “owl” sound), “keewick” call (= "BOP" sound). But I haven’t been on Hampstead Heath for donkey’s years & don’t know how likely Tawny Owls are there.

Last edited:
Tawny Owl for both? Territorial “hooting” (= “owl” sound), “keewick” call (= "BOP" sound). But I haven’t been on Hampstead Heath for donkey’s years & don’t know how likely Tawny Owls are there.

Thanks Fugl, I'm ok with the Tawny Owl for the Owl but the other bird had more of a rising 'screech'. Although I couldn't actually see it hearing it screech as it flew it appeared to be flying very quickly.

I hear it quite often so I'll take my handheld recorder and hope the mic is sensitive enough to pick it up.

Admittedly I am a newbee!

Edit: just been to the RSPB website and found that they had a bird calls section. Listening to the Peregrine I found it.... its a Peregrine I heard!

Last edited:
Peregrine is unlikely in that location, and unlikely to be calling at night. A female Tawny Owl has a screeching upslurred call which matches your description.

Graham

Peregrine is unlikely in that location, and unlikely to be calling at night. A female Tawny Owl has a screeching upslurred call which matches your description.

Graham

Thanks Graham, I've listened to the Tawny Owl calls on the RSPB website and although its close its definitely not what I heard.

I'm going to see if I can get a recording as I hear it most nights that I'm walking through Hampstead Heath. On occasion of the OP it appeared to be in a tree directly next to me meaning that the sound was scarily loud but its normally more far off.

Anyway I'll give it ago.

Agree with bitterntwisted, this is likely to be a Tawny. Their calls are very variable so it's no surprise that the limited number of sounds on the RSPB site didn't come up with a match. Good luck with trying to catch it on your recorder.

Agree with bitterntwisted, this is likely to be a Tawny. Their calls are very variable so it's no surprise that the limited number of sounds on the RSPB site didn't come up with a match. Good luck with trying to catch it on your recorder.

O.K I'm a total newbee on anything to do with birds so I'll defer to the collective wisdom on this.
Thanks

Indio

I'm new to birding but have always had an interest.

I was walking through Hampstead Heath on Thursday night at around 11pm and heard 2 bird sounds one sounded like some kind of Owl and the other a bird of prey.

I've got a handheld recorder but it didn't pick up the sounds. I'll try again if I can find them.

Anyone know what these birds are likely to be?
Cheers

Indio

Rather than what owl species it was (although most likely a tawny) walking round Hampstead Heath at that time of night that screeching almost definitely wasn't a BOP, I wouldn't like to suggest what it was though :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back