• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird sites in the Algarve (1 Viewer)

keithyed

I am off to portugal on Saturday staying in Portimao.Was hoping that some one could give me some handy directions to some good sites,I have been thro the net and seems one of the best places is formossa near Faro,
but i am sure there are several more worth a visit.Only there for a week and have been told by the boss that this is not a birdwwatching holiday so the better the directions the quicker i can be. I will have a car so travel no real problem.
thanks
keith

keithyed said:
I am off to portugal on Saturday staying in Portimao.Was hoping that some one could give me some handy directions to some good sites,I have been thro the net and seems one of the best places is formossa near Faro,
but i am sure there are several more worth a visit.Only there for a week and have been told by the boss that this is not a birdwwatching holiday so the better the directions the quicker i can be. I will have a car so travel no real problem.
thanks
keith
I stayed in Praia da Vau just W. of Portimao in April 1999. Alvor, a village just to the W. again, has good little restaurants and bars on the edge of the estuary, so you might see terns (caspian, I saw on my visit) and gulls (audouin's winter there, I've read) and have a good feed, too. It was good for people watching, too! The river mouth at Portimao could be good, too. I saw greenshank and white stork there (remembering wildly - 6 years is a long time!). I also went to the A Rocha place just W across the Alvor river from the village of the same name. There are old salt pans, and I saw lots of different bird species there.
Yes, the area just W of Faro is very good. One species that breeds there and which sounded near mythological at the time but which I dipped on when I was there is the purple gallinule - I've seen them in Catalunya, at the opposite end of the peninsula, since. Castro Marim in the far E of the Algarve sounds impressive in the literature. I saw my only ever spoonbill there. At the opposite end, Cape St. Vincent had peregrine, chough, blue rock thrush and gannets passing. Imagine the seawatching at this time of the year!
I've just re-read your request above and saw the mention of "the boss." Assuming that your employer or work manager does not send you off to the Algarve for a week (now, that would be a great job!), I'm sure that you could combine sightseeing with birdwatching. The cuisine is good. I remember the word "cozinha" (= cuisine) in Alvor. There were little bars along the river at Portimao selling grilled fresh sardines. There is a Visitors' Centre at Castro Marim. It was brand new and not officially open when I was taken there in 1999. My lasting memory of there, apart from the spoonbill and the stork nests on poles stretching towards Spain, was that the people inside gave me a sample of Medronho to drink.
I went to the Algarve all those years ago for a family holiday and saw or heard 100 bird species in 2 weeks, but that included newly arrived spring migrants like woodchat shrike and bee eaters, as well as a lot of waders and other long legged birds (like flamingos) just W of Faro.
Have a good trip.

Santo Andre Lagoon is pretty good - about 1 and 1/2 hours drive away - we had good views of black-shouldered kite there.
also the small pine wood near sagres - cap st vincent. saw wryneck and good views of raptor migration - although earlier in the year than you are going.
pm me if you want directions - I found 'A Birdwatchers Guide to Portugal and Madeira' was useful.
nigel

Pera Marshes was excellent a couple of years ago. We had good views of Gallinules, Red-throated Pipit, Pallid Swift, Red-rumped Swallow, Purple Heron and good numbers of the more expected birds. Castro Marim was also good for Little Bustard, Lesser Short-toed Lark and Pratincoles. Didn't like the Rio Formosa as it was too built up, but the restaurant out on the beach front was good. Birding around the airport pools (which are mentioned in the site guides) was no fun as you had to view through chain-link fences, there was a heavy flow of traffic and nowhere to really park properly.

Caspian Terns were easy at the usual places mentioned in the site guides (especially at the place with the salt pans - can't remember the name), but we often had them inland on wide stretches of river.

However, if you can get get permission (!) then you must go up to the Castro Verde around the town of Mertola. Great Bustards were not difficult (but not easy either), Rock Bunting were easy just outside Mertola in the deep gorge by the convent along with Azure Magpies and Blue Rock Thrush.

I really enjoyed it there.

Last edited:
tom mckinney said:
However, if you can get get permission (!) then you must go up to the Castro Verde around the town of Mertola. Great Bustards were not difficult (but not easy either), Rock Bunting were easy just outside Mertola in the deep gorge by the convent along with Azure Magpies and Blue Rock Thrush.

I really enjoyed it there.

Hey Tom, have they moved Castro Verde. lol

Here's me thinking it was almost due north of Albufeira.

Agree with doing a trip there. Magical place, especially in the spring and early summer. Earlier in the year you would have got Monty's in your face there as well as the birds Tom mentioned.

the area containing both castro verde and mertola is called the alentejo i think - and it's definitely worth a visit, as are cape st. vincent, foia, pera marsh and quinto do lago, although i visited in march so don't know how good these areas are in the autumn.
James

I have typed in place names for birds in the internet (eg. castro marim bustard, alvor birds) and come up with a lot of trip reports that give a lot of good information for finding birds in the Algarve, and beyond.

Reader said:
Hey Tom, have they moved Castro Verde. lol

Hi Reader,

Did I cock that up? I have been known to make the occasional mistake... :) I just remember some town called Mertola being near to where we saw Great Bustards along a stretch of road with Storks nesting on the pylons and Spanish Sparrows in the nests - is that the same place? I could have swore it was called Castro Verde. Infact I did swear.

Tom

PS Watch out for insane Portugese drivers - very scary. And the only lingo you need to know is "Porco Choppo". Guess what it means?

tom mckinney said:
Hi Reader,

Did I cock that up? I have been known to make the occasional mistake... :) I just remember some town called Mertola being near to where we saw Great Bustards along a stretch of road with Storks nesting on the pylons and Spanish Sparrows in the nests - is that the same place? I could have swore it was called Castro Verde. Infact I did swear.

Castro Verde and Mertola are linked on the same road but if my memory serves me right are possibly 30-40 miles apart. Storks and Spanish Sparrows are definitely along this road but the bustards are at the western end near to Castro Verde.

tom mckinney said:
PS Watch out for insane Portugese drivers - very scary. And the only lingo you need to know is "Porco Choppo". Guess what it means?

I'll definitely 2nd that. Totally manic, especially on the dual carriageway from Faro airport going westwards.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back