• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird/Nature Walks Tyne and Wear (1 Viewer)

jamie1

Hi there,
i was just wondering if anyone would point in the direction of some nature/bird walks in the tyne and wear area which are easy to access. If anyone could possibly give me any good routes or walks that would be great so i could print them off,

thank you

Bird/Nature Walks

Hi Jamie

Have a look on the main In and Aroound South Tyneside thread you will see some suggestions but feel free to ask away on that thread,They are a nice friendly bunch.

Paul D

Hi Jamie I see this is your first post, so may I welcome you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

You could also explore Opus, there's an excellent article on Jesmond Dene and at the bottom is a link to other sites in Northumberland.

Hope this helps

D

My favourite walks are the following:

Derwent valley walk, not only is the scenery beautiful but there is lots of wildlife; woodpeckers, jays, nuthatches, stock dove, kingfishers, sparrowhawk and of course red kite are all fairly frequent in the area there is a really nice viaduct as well as monuments and an impressive old hall type building on the hillside. You can watch ducks and geese at shibdon pond (it's a large pond the size of a lake) as well as visit the feeding station at the thornley woodland centre. Far Pastures hide is also worth a visit and amongst other things has reed buntings, willow tits and the elusive water rail. One of the major benefits of this walk is that it is suitable for people of all walking abilities (it is wheelchair friendly also).

Another nice walk is from south shields to seaburn (or however far you want to walk). It is always nice to walk along the beach, at this time of year the big attraction (in my eyes) the terns are not there, but its nice to see the ringed plovers sanderlings and purple sandpipers that are around as well as pipits and skylark. The trow disused quarry is famous for its birding particularly in the migration seasons. Divers and sea ducks can be seen when looking out to sea along the cliff tops as well as good views of cormorants and gulls that live on the stacks, marsden grotto provides both a nice place to see birds and the perfect half way point to stop, have a drink or maybe a bite to eat and relax. Also keep a close eyes on the gulls round here and if your lucky you might see a med gull (I've still to see it myself but it has been reported by many) souter lighthouse provides an iconic landmark before reaching a natural trust wildife reserve at whitburn where partridges and pheasant can be seen. further on huge flocks of golden plover can be seen (either in the farming fields or at the bottom of the cliffs amongst other waders) wheatears have been in this area also.

these are two nice long walks that bot make for a great day out.

wherever you choose hope you have a nice walk

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back