• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird identification advice Hoylake (Red Rocks) UK (1 Viewer)

DanLat

United Kingdom
Hi

About two weeks ago whilst walking on the beach at Hoylake I saw a bird I couldn't identify, and would be grateful for advice. It was very dark (I thought black initially, but later decided dark brown) with what appeared to be two irregular white patches on its side. I thought initially it was corvine; right size/shape and I wondered if the white patches meant it was part albino. Only when it flew did I appreciate the striking regular white patterns on its wings. It was one of a pair but I didn't catch much of its partner and they wouldn't let me get close enough to take a decent picture.

Having looked through all my bird books, the nearest bird I can find is the Great Skua. Are there any recorded sightings of this bird in the area (esp. recently)? Any thoughts very welcome. Thank you!

Just over the water from me (y)

Here's an available image (one of many on google) showing variations of leucism -

EOYlzOKWkAAfszX.jpg:large

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back