• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird hides (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
I fancy sitting in a bird hide for a day with a bunch of sandwiches !!! Are there any hides in Leitrim or surrounding counties? I only know of one at Lissadel in Co. Sligo.

I fancy sitting in a bird hide for a day with a bunch of sandwiches !!! Are there any hides in Leitrim or surrounding counties? I only know of one at Lissadel in Co. Sligo.

Hi John,
Just visiting Birdforum and found your message re Bird Hides.
There is a hide at Glen Lough Nature Reserve on the Longford/Westmeath border near Edgeworthstown (N4) . The hide was erected by the National Parks & Wildlife Service at Glen Lough which is a designated Special Protection Area. The easiest way to get to the hide is to take a right turn on to a minor road a couple of hundred yards past the entrance to Edgeworthstown Railway Station on the Dublin Road out of the town. The right turn can be missed easily as it's just past a type of crest on the main road where the railway goes underneath. On this minor road,travel for approx. one mile or so and take a left turn and follow this road to the end, where it terminates at the gate of the Reserve. Once in the reserve, follow the main path approx. .5 mile and it will lead you to the hide which overlooks a reedy lake, which is flooded in winter.Best ask locally for directions as my mileage reckoner is a bit suspect at times !
Best times to go there are winter months (Oct-March), when the lake is in flood, Whooper Swans, various species of duck, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Kingfisher, and a wintering Hen Harrier or two , grebes, , though not all close to the hide, but worth a look anyway.
tom

That certainly is worth a look. Thank you Tom. I took myself off to Inch Island in Co. Donegal but it was a long trek. I will definitely bare this one in mind. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back