• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Book (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I'm visiting NZ for four weeks next February (flying into and out of Christchurch). What would be the best bird book to get? I'm thinking of getting Photographic Guide to Birds of New Zealand
by Geoff Moon. Normally I would consider this series a bit basic, but I'm keen to keep my luggage weight down and I know that the range of birds in New Zealand is not so huge. So maybe it's adequate?

the photographic guide would be perfectly adequate -- it has pretty much all of the birds you're likely to see -- but the Heather & Robertson guide is much better, includes all the vagrants etc (at least the ones recorded up to date of publication), and the weight difference between the photo guide and the small H&R is negligible

Hi Arbu
I started with the Heather & Robertson's Field Guide and found it was quite suitable. I have added to it but have the advantage of being able to leave mine there with my daughter. You could always get a better one when you arrive.
If you can try to visit Kapiti Island southern end of North Island and Tiritiri Matangi in Hauraki Gulf, ferry from Auckland or Gulf Harbour. Both closed reserves but you can visit for the day, great for rare birds that are being re introduced. On Tiri you can go round with a guide but would advise you go it alone. I have easily walked all the way round tiri in less than a day. You can stay overnight if you book on both islands. Enjoy the trip and start saving again because you will want to go back again.

Thanks. Have ordered the photographic guide since the H & R one seems quite expensive and, although the H & R one isn't that much heavier, I'll be doing some long hikes, so weight will be important.

tabs41, I expect to be on South Island most or all of the time, but might make it up to Kapiti Island. I've ordered ""Where to Watch Birds in New Zealand" as well, so will do some planning before I go.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back