• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bestdates and location for Spring migration (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Hi

Thinking of spending 4 days at either Cape Greco or Paphos headland in April, possibly 6-10th APril.

Paphos headland is well know for its migrants, but I have seen a quite superb report for the underwatched Cape Greco, which seems to rival Paphos.

Any thoughts from locals regards premium time to visit, and on location?

The dates you mention are excellent for passage of a number of wheatear, warbler and shrike species. And Cape Greco is indeed quite nice for seeing these --- I'm just not sure that you could say that Cape Greco is better than Paphos headland or vice versa.

Thanks for that view melanothorax, aso hope to tap into Pallid Harrier.

can get return flights for £175 to Larnaca, so Cape Greco seems better option. Also finding your own birds is perhaps more exciting!

Sounds great. Good luck, and contact me if you have questions.

Thanks mate - booked my flights on the said dates. With Monarch airlines. Target birds will be Cyprus Warbler, Cyprus Pied Wheatear, Pallid Harrier, Ruppell's Warbler, Masked Shrike. All hit and miss I realise tho the first two should be reasonaby safe.

Have not booked accommodation just yet butcan get 4 nights half board at Protaras for £80 total. That would be ideal if I choose to bird Cape Greco.

Hi wolfbirder,
I lived in Cyprus for 2 years and lived near to Protaras so Greco was my local spot, although the dates you have booked are a little earlier than I was there...
Check out a website I set up a couple of years ago as I was there in 2005/2006
www.freewebs.com/cyprusbirding
I saw all of your target species at Greco mid til late April except the Cyprus Warbler which I had to go more centrally for
Any questions please contact me
Cheers

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back