• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best season for Panama (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I thought I would echo a request for Costa Rica and ask: when is the best time to visit Panama for birding?

thanks

Niels

Hi Niels,

The Panamanian "summer" (end of December until early April) is usually considered to be the best season. It is also called the dry season, that's mostly why. Less chance of rain during the day, less humid feeling in general, and less muddy conditions on the trails.

Upsides are the presence of North-American migrants in breeding plumage, and, especially by the end of the dry season, the dry leaves on the ground that make it a bit easier to spot ground-dwelling birds without the use of tape or the need to hear them call. I found Streak-chested (Spectacled) Antpitta twice on Pipeline Road during the dry season without tape and without the bird ever calling once.

Downsides are higher prices everywhere, and generally a bit less flowers (my personal impression), which may make finding hummingbirds in the wild a bit tougher. Feeders are the answer to that one up to a certain level.

So if you're willing to spend a bit more, February and March would be the best time. But rest assured, birding can be great any time of the year in Panama!!

Regards,
Cedric

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back