• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best place to stay (1 Viewer)

DMKSlater

At the very early stages of planning a trip to Cyprus, probably mid april. What is the thoughts of the forum as to the best place to stay for best access to locations and also local birds on doorstep?

Many thanks.

Dave

Three good locations - Paphos, Limmasol (for Akrotiri), or Ayia Napa/Protaras for Cape Greco - this latter location being underwatched.

There are great sites and birding at all locations, Paphos for me is best because there are a variety of locations within a ten mile radius including Paphos headland, Mandria Fields, Anarita Park, Asprokremnos Dam, Mavrokolympos dam. A car is essential but if you want to walk, hotels in paphos by the harbour are great as you can walk to the headland in minutes.

The mountains at Troodos are accessable from Paphos or Limmasol. Infact Limmasol and Paphos are only about an hour in between via a good dual carriageway.

Depends what birds you really want to see, check birdlifecyprus archives to see what area favours certain species best, or see Vacational trip reports - I have 3 reports from Cyprus including two from early April.

Excellent wolf birder many thanks. My initial hunch was for Paphos, so think will plan for that. Thanks for the reply.

Excellent wolf birder many thanks. My initial hunch was for Paphos, so think will plan for that. Thanks for the reply.

I prefer the east of the Island. Much better wetland habitat at Larnaca,Oroklini and Paralimni.Cape Greko is brilliant.And best of all almost no other birders.
So probably best if you join the crowds at Paphos.;)

Pete.

Paphos is pretty ideal as it has a super headland for morning and evening birding sessions. It also cuts down on the number of days you need to hire a car.

Regards,
Andrew.

Paphos still favourite, but car hire to explore looks on the cards as well. What type of habitat is the headland at Paphos then?

Go to Googlemaps.com and have a look, its really good for passerines - larks, buntings, wagtails, wrynecks, flycatchers, warblers, wheatears, chats, shrikes, kestrels, harriers, quail etc.

Is walking distance from town centre. So if you prefer you can combine town and birding. Still best to get a car though!

Get Gosneys DVD and guide! Well worth it.

Just checked and as a single person you could do a week in Paphos departing 9th April - 16th April for £480 total !! Not bad eh !! That includes return flights from Glasgow to Paphos with Thomas cook total £220, one week car hire Economy car hire £106, and one week half board at 3-star Hotel Nereus in Paphos half board £160 booked via Hotels4U.com. I used Economy and they are fine. Hote Nereus was excellent clean 3 star. Obviously you get what you pay for but I found that fine except beds were hard but they gave you a bed roll to soften it. Rooms were very clean and en-suite.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Interesting reading as I am going for a week in the last week in April next year with my wife, we staying outside of Paphos at Kissonerga.

It is not a birding only holiday (sadly!) but my camera will be going with me where ever we go in the day just in case! ;)

I would also appreciate any tips on good coastal areas near the area where my hotel is in Kissonerga and areas close by, possibly walking distance as we do a little in the daytime.

Looking at the potential, albeit possibly a little late in April for me, of seeing 'new to me' migrants I am already looking forward to it and also surfing for more info.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :t:

Regards and happy birding,

Steve
www.stevenesbitt.co.uk

Hi Steve

If you are confined to walking around the Kissonerga region then you won't pick up too may new ticks! Local areas like the Akamas Pen, Mavrokolympos Dam and the Tomb of the Kings site are too far away to walk ..... and when I visited the Mav Dam earlier this year a landslide had destroyed the road!

The main close areas are as said, Paphos Headland & Lighthouse, and also places like Paphos Sewage Works and Mandria.

Best website to check for recent sitings is the cyprusbirdsite, they provide up to date reports on what is around and where but I am sure you know this.

Apart from that I may see you in April as I am there also!

Shane

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back