• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best field guide? (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

Hi folks, hopefully going to tasmania in feb and looking for advice on the best field guides for birds and mammals please? Uk based.

Thanks

Jo

For birds, the most complete one is "The Australian Bird Guide" (Menkhorst/ Rogers) which is excellent but very large and heavy. I was backpacking and hiking long distances carrying all my stuff, so I left it at home (only used for my pre-trip homework and after trip reference).

For field guide I used the "Morcombe's Birds of Australia" app on a smartphone. It was OK, though it had some errors when using the range filters. But it worked well enough for identification.

I loved Tasmania. It was easy to find all Tasmanian endemics.
Btw: my trip report (not just birding): Tasmania – Hiking Birdman

For mammals, A Field Guide to the Mammals of Australia, 3d ed., by Menkhorst & Knight seems to be the standard one. But it has one annoying omission: it has no description of mammal groups – only descriptions of individual species. So, for example, if you want to know what a Dunnart or Bettong is, there is no explanation other than the accounts of the individual species, and those don't provide general information. But I'm not aware of anything better. Here is my full review on Amazon: Thorough identification guide with excellent illustrations; but room for improvement

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back