• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Benacre Broad (1 Viewer)

cjay

Benacre Broad
Land ranger Map 156 Grid Ref TM 530830.

Benacre Broad is situated on the Suffolk Coast between Lowestoft in the North & Southwold in the South. Many stories have been told as to how the Broad was formed but in the 1700’s it was five miles inland & probably old peat diggings. The remnants of the old decoy can be seen just north west of the hide. At the western end of the broad there are a series of “Bunds” which protect the frequent inundations from the sea from reaching the freshwater marshes. The broad is part of the Benacre NNR.
By far the best time to visit is autumn to late spring. In the summer it is frequented by many bathers.
If you come in from the north from Kessingland Beach (TM 537856) it is by far the best way to see all the habitats. The Denes between Kessingland & Benacre Sluice attracts many common Passerines & migrants. Wheatears, Meadow Pipits & Linnets are to be found using the short turf with the latter two breeding nearby. In winter the area can be good for Shore larks & Snow Buntings. Just inland on the rougher denes & in the west Kessingland Levels many good birds can be found including Short eared Owl in winter, Kestrel, Hen harrier & Marsh harrier & wintering Geese.

The River Hundred by the Benacre Sluice is good for winter Duck & autumn waders.
Once over the stile you are in the reserve. There are two pits to explore & a whole host of bushes in which to find that hidden gem. Keep walking south until you come to the concrete path. Turn right here to Beach Farm. It is a good spot for autumn & spring migrants.

As you walk back to the beach the way you came turn right & head toward Benacre Broad & the hide which is situated to the south of the broad. The trick with this place is to sit & wait. If the broad is full all the birds will be at the far end but later in the year the water drains out & this is when the exposed mud can be a great challenge to search.

Most of the stuff you get at Minsmere can be seen here in throughout the year but not so many rarities. Walking from Kessingland will take you a round trip of five hours including an hour or so in the hide.

However for those who do not wish to walk that far you can park at the Covehithe Cliffs & walk the half mile to the hide from here (TM 525819) Beware though it is a hot spot for car breaks You would be better off parking near the church where there are occupied dwellings.

Colin J.

I wouldn't have known that this place existed if it hadn't been for this site! Result! Popped up there today, and although I am quite a novice birder I am aboslutely certain I saw a Buzzard! Does anyone know if there have been any other sightings? I realise Marsh Harriers and Hen Harriers are found round here but I am as sure as I can be that this was a Buzzard!

No ... i've thought about it a few times, just never actually got there.

Was it busy when you went ? Colins original post says it can be busy with bathers in summer ... not really the time & place to get the bins out !

I've been twice now, it's relatively quiet when I've been (which is mid-late afternoon). I was driving back Friday and a Tawny Owl (I think!) flew in front of me so it seems to be quite a hot spot. Although, like I said I'm still in my infancy as a twitcher. I used to be really into it when I was around 8-13 years old but I'm now 30 and for the first time in 17 years I'm getting the bug again. So, as you can imagine I'm a touch rusty which is the main reason I joined this forum!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back