• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beddington Farm (1 Viewer)

szekiat

Anyone knows what's the status of beddington farm? Some site say access is limited to the local bird group, but i have no idea how to get in touch with them. I live in tooting, so i'm arguably quite local and would love to visit the place!

Hiya!
Google 'Diporglory'. Information about site and times and dates of accompanied walks. A great site although anyone will tell you that it gets a 'trifle' muddy at times!
Hope to see you there one day!
Reg

Hi again!
'Drive by' not really recommended. It IS possible to get some shots but very difficult especially at this time of the year; vegetation somewhat limits the view!
DO turn up for one of the guided walks though, the guys do know their stuff and are really keen and helpful. Can't recommend it enough!
All the very,
best Reg.

Beddington Farm being a landfill site is only accessable to keyholders. The site used to be open but 2 guys came to a sticky end on the site and Thames Water / Viridor erected fences to prevent a re occurance.

The Beddington Farm Bird Group have keys which are limited in number and normally become available when someone stops watching / moves away from the site. (It took me two years to get mine).

The Bird Group arranges tours which are advertised on Johnny Allan's website www.diporglory.co.uk. The Croydon branch of the RSPB also take groups around the site. The next tour is on 22nd July.

There are several vantage points along the public footpath from Mile Road Bridge down to 100 Acre near Mitcham Golf course. The vegitation is growing rapidly and the public viewpoint onto the Main lake can be obscured at this time of year. Once the breeding season finishes work will begin to improve viewing from the path.

Having said that myself and the other members of the group do take people onto the site from time to time. I have got to know a few of the regular watchers including Paul (Paulwfromtheden).

I am always willing to assist regular non keyholders particularly if there is a rarity on site.

Photographers like to "shoot" the Tree Sparrows and have been given access to do so in the past.

I would certainly recommend one of the tours as an initial step. I do not lead tours myself, but will assist Derek or Nick to make a tour as enjoyable as possible for people attending.

I hope this information is useful and maybe I will meet you on a tour.

Regards

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back