• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bean Geese - Finland (1 Viewer)

Allen

All

Having recently returned froma very successful week in Finland at the end of May, I have one outstanding identification issue.
In the Kuusamo region we came across a pair of Bean Geese which unfortunately flew before we got much on them. My initial impressions were of Tundra but in hindsight they weren't dissimilar in size to some Whoopers in the same field.
Which is more likely at this time of year, Tundra or Taiga, or both equally so?

Saw several parties of bean geese a few weeks later on a Limosa trip which Brian Small and a local guide identified as Tundra.Hope this helps.I found the mosquitoes such a trial that I began not to care.

Last edited:
Thanks.

We were lucky to be prior to the mosquito 'season' so didn't suffer at all!

Which was probably for the best as my birding buddy is like an 'all you can eat for free' banquet to the buzzing blighters. Luckily I must taste like crap cos they ignore me!!

Taiga Bean Goose (ssp fabalis) is much more common than Tundra Bean Goose (ssp rossicus) here in Finland, both you can meet both of them in the migration time (April-May). Finnish breeding population is Taiga BG.
Probably the nearest and rather dense breeding population of Tundra Bean Goose situated in the north part of Kola Peninsula, around 'Enozero' lake.

Saw several parties of bean geese a few weeks later on a Limosa trip which Brian Small and a local guide identified as Tundra.Hope this helps.I found the mosquitoes such a trial that I began not to care.

The mozies are bad! But when you are looking at Hawk owl I find them more bareable!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back