• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat in bright sunshine (1 Viewer)

Geraldine

Martian Member
On a couple of occasions recently, in bright sunshine at about 3pm, I have seen a bat flying over the pond in our local park, skimming repeatedly low over the surface of the water, presumeably catching midges. As it is the first bat I have ever seen in daylight, I have no means of describing or comparing it. Can anyone tell me what kind of bat it might be, and if this is unusual behaviour? Also, any tips on what to look for as help with id, if I see it again?

I had the same experience myself this time last year at a local reserve, when I mentioned it at the visitors center I was told it was a noctule bat apparently they often hunt in the daytime at this time of year :mad:)

Oh, thank you. Quite a big bat, then, according to my very limited info, two pages in a wildlife book! I can't find my bat book, not that it would make much difference, as they fly so quickly, I can't see any details anyway! I thought it might be a Daubenton's bat, only because my book says they fly over water. On both occasions, it was a really warm day, lots of little insects over the water.

Hi Geraldine,
I've recently seen a bat in daylight over water, I thought it was a Daubenton's, but I'm not so sure now coz of seb seb's post. The one I saw was two-tone, light brown and dark brown.Too big for a pippistrelle and too small for a Noctule.I'll see if I can find any relevant info......

I'm fairly sure it didn't have a white underside. It was hard to see colours clearly as the sun was so bright. I haven't seen it since. It's been colder, and rainy.

Natterer's bat seems likely aswell. i did some research and got the following information:
"Natterer's bats are fairly common in southern Britain but are rare in northern parts. Natterer's usually hunt around deciduous trees in woods or parks although they can be found around hedgerows and water. Their flight is often fairly slow but is highly maneuverable and they can fly very close to the ground.In the hand they can be identified by their bare pink face and white belly fur."
Heres a link to a picture of one: http://www2002.stoke.gov.uk/museums...y_static_exhibitions/bats/pages/natterers.htm

And Daubenton'sL
"
Daubenton's bats are fairly common in Britain and Ireland and are sometimes known as water bats. In the hand they can be identified by the reddish-brown fur on their backs and paler fur underneath.Daubenton's take insects from just above or on the surface of the water and are usually seen flying over canals, ponds and lakes like miniature hovercraft. "

I hope this helps. From the pictures they look pretty similar both having pale underfur. It seems as if i was mistaken saying that Daubenton's have white underside....this information suggests that Natterer's does.

To the best of my knowledge most types of bat will fly over ponds as there is a greater chance of catching insects especially if the weather is warm, and thundery! But I'm no expert but wish I also knew one as I have at least three different types of bat sweep over the pond in my back garden, the pipistrelles are the easiest to ID as they are the smallest bat (according to my books) but I have two with very different wingspans, one about twice the pipistrelle and the other is nearly thirteen inches, could be fourteen, and it's so big I has caught me unawares and startled me. I could never ID as they are so very quick and by the time I've located it it's gone!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back