• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barska triplet (1 Viewer)

doublespinss

There are these Barska 80mm triplets for sale on ebay/amazon. They use FPL-51 instead of 53, but they are triplets. Cloudy nights seems to like them, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experience with them. Would you rather have FPL-53 doublet or FPL-51 triplet?

In a triplet the three pieces of glass all try to converge the colors of light so that none go astray and give aberrations. It doesn't matter so much that one of the lenses is FPL-51 but rather how all three work as a whole. In that respect a good ED doublet can beat a poor triplet. The only way to know is to try it. From what I read the optics look ok and money has been saved on the rest of the scope. That's a bit like the first generation Skywatcher Pro 80ED and the current Orion 80ED where you get a nice bit of glass but shortcuts are obvious on the rest of the materials. Things like focusers are an easy upgrade though.

Paul.

Just purchased the Barska Magnus 80ED on Amazon Canada. I will have to see how it performs. Got a great deal on the wholesale store for $260. I have been using a Pentax M 400mm 5.6 lens, but now will probably sell the lens because my telescope will be used as a spotting scope, telescope, and lens. We will see if the results compare to the 80ED doublets you guys are using.

As you can see from my post count, I'm brand new. I've also picked up the Barska 80 to experiment with - we recently moved out to a country-ish setting and to start I'll be taking shots of the birds in the yard. We'll see how it goes.

So far it has met my expectations. I haven't been able to use it much yet because I'm in the middle of a move. But have flocked the inside of the tube and soon am going to paint the tube and hood camo.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back