• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barrow Hill SSSI (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
I don't know if the SSSI status is recently acquired, but the sign designating it as such, is.

The SSSI status appears to have been awarded on the grounds of some unusual plant-life, but as I am no botanist, I'm afraid I cannot help you out there!

Even so, it's a nice place for a walk, and you can usually see a few of the birdies. It is widely used by dogwalkers, but this seems to have no detrimental effect on the bird population, and every one seems to be interested in what you've seen!

The path leading to the site (from Harwell village) is usually a hive of avian activity, as there are a few houses with birdfeeding occupants, who attract many of the usual suspects.

On reaching the site, there is a conifer plantation to the right, with a mixed mostly deciduous wooded area to the left. There is one obvious path, straight ahead, but there a options to go left or right, and the abovementioned sign will give extra details.

Please keep to the paths!

The left path gradually wends its way back to the main path (alongside the conifers), rejoining just as the conifers end and the mixed wood widens. I am reliably informed that the wood is mostly Oak and Sweet Chestnut, with a few Silver Birch, Sycamore and Hawthorn (many of the trees being coppiced), at least one Yew and some "rogue" Pines thrown in for good measure.

The path continues through the wood, after which you have the option to continue along the northern side of Barrow Hill, or head out to the Green Lane, which ultimately leads back to Harwell.

The Green Lane passes through private arable farm land (so please keep to the lane!), offering a different variety of birds from the woodland.

If you keep to the paths and the lane – it is impossible to get lost!

Harwell village is approx 15 miles SE of Doncaster on the Bawtry-Gainsborough Road.

The village GR is SK689917, and you will see from the map that Barrow Hill is adjacent.

If you, or anyone is considering a visit, there is a large grass verge in the village that everyone and (literallly) their dog uses for parking. (Natives are friendly.)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back