• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

barn owls north west (2 Viewers)

mav12

could anyone tell me where i might be able to see any barnowls in the merseyside area
i saw a couple around formby moss area but that 3was a bout 4 years back
thanks

Hi Mav

I saw one on Formby Moss from the train this year. Also seen one between New Lane and Meols Cop from the train too. But I regularly see one at Crossens ... more here

Had a pair right by my house all last spring in Aldford nr Chester. Would see them hunting most evenings over the fields. I'd say that barn owls are not rare in the area.

Johnny1 is right Martin Mere has been really good for Barn Owls in the past - up to six birds last winter from the Ron Barker Hide. Haven't heard of any lately though but I'll be there this w/e. The Ribble Estuary's good for them with birds present at Warton Marsh (at the east end of BAE compound) and Freckleton but it's a bit of a way from Merseyside.

I was at Martin Mere yesterday morning in the pouring rain - there was a barn owl flying around for a good 20 minutes, it must have been very hungry to be flying around in the rain. Viewed from the Ron Barker hide also Kingfisher, Peregrine and Stonechat.

havent had any luck as yet at martin mere
also tird formby moss over the weekend no joy
anyone had any recent sightings
cheers
rob

mav12 said:
havent had any luck as yet at martin mere
also tird formby moss over the weekend no joy
anyone had any recent sightings
cheers
rob

Try the minor roads on Altcar Moss (Broad Lane and Engine Lane)inland of Tesco. Also Sefton Meadows - park at Punch Bowl Inn and walk to the country park area.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back