• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August in Turkey (1 Viewer)

woodswan

We are going on a family holiday to Turkey in August. Not a good time of year I know, however I would like to do try to do some birding around Fethiye & Kas. Any suggestions for worthwhile sites?

I was in Turkey last August on a family holiday.
We stayed in Dalyan and it was very hot!
The best birding times were before 7:30 in the morning and at dusk.
I managed quite a good total of species in our 2 week stay, seeing that it was probably the wrong time of year to be there for bird numbers.
Still, i was happy with finding Smyrna Kingfisher, Spur winged Lapwing, Pygmy Cormorants, Night Heron, Long legged Buzzard, Rufous Bush Robin etc etc.
The highlight was snorkelling alongside a Loggerhead Turtle. V.nice :)

dave...

Alanya can be good

had Eleonora's around the castle in 1994

it's a lovely place too.

I have an old report from early 90s that is top notch with a few sites around that general area for a few cracking species. I will digicam them and post them up or pm them to you in a day or so, when i have the time. (footy and beer today so you'll have to wait a bit...)

Tim

Rob Smallwood said:
Dave,

Where did you get the Smyrna last year - we haven't seen one around Dalyan for a while now.
Rob,I think they are still around the Koycegiz Golu,also near here at Kus Cenneti(Izmir).

Rob Smallwood said:
Dave,

Where did you get the Smyrna last year - we haven't seen one around Dalyan for a while now.

Hi Rob,

There's a rubbish dump at the top end of the town, behind a small hill.
The bird was between there and the football field. It didn't stay long, but
I'm sure glad i saw it. A stunning and surprisingly big bird.
The area around there was also good for Rollers, Hoopoe, Woodchats, Great Reed Warblers and Zitting Cisticolas.
It was only a few minutes walk from our Hotel and was a great spot to bird, so long as you avoided the barking dogs!

dave...

Eckart - Yes - White-breasted - us Brits hang on to the old names!

Dave - I know the tip area - never had one here but always looks good for one - we did have one on the river near there but it was 10 years ago - Koyceygiz seems the only reliable spot.

I was there last August too - did meet one birder near the tip one morning - wonder if it was you?! I like to climb up the rock face a little and get views over the reed beds towards the lake - there is always something to see!

deboo said:
There's a rubbish dump at the top end of the town, behind a small hill. The bird was between there and the football field. It didn't stay long, but I'm sure glad i saw it. A stunning and surprisingly big bird.

I was in Dalyan end of april 2004, and heard what I took to be Smyrna Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis!)coming from near here. I'm pretty sure the track/road which leads past the football ground also leads to the river. Anyway, there was a large private garden full of vegetation with a high wire fence around it next to the river crossing to the north of the town, and it was coming from here. Old news, but still!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back