• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audubon Equinox (1 Viewer)

slawekpar

Hi

What's your opinion about Audubon Equinox 10x42.
The price $230 seems to be reasonable. But what about quality ?

Thanks in advance

Slawek

slawekpar said:
Hi

What's your opinion about Audubon Equinox 10x42.
The price $230 seems to be reasonable. But what about quality ?

Thanks in advance

Slawek
I've tried those out at a store. I'm not a expert, but I think they are pretty dang good for the price.

I bought the 8X42 version a couple weeks ago...and they are great! The brightness, color, ergonomics and resolution is are as good as units that cost twice as much. Aberration and distortion are kept to a minimum. A waterproof/fogproof set of roof prism bins that focus at less than 6 feet, are bright and have good resolution were unheard of at this price point...before now.

Don't get me wrong, improvements could be made! Resolution and brightness are good, but not like my fathers Nikon Superior E's; they are large and heavy, but not much worse than other 8X42's in the "elite" class; the twist up eye cups work but could have "light shield" cups as an option.

Except for the resolution, minor problems. I think that this is a great entry level bin and hope that Audubon (or anyone) comes out with more like it. (i.e.- good quality at a reasonable price)

Steve-O

Audubon 8x42 equinox

I also bought a pair a couple of weeks ago. They are my first roof prisms and are as bright as my pretty good Meade porros. I find them very, very comfortable to use with glasses and actually leave both eyes open, something I can rarely comfortably do with other binocs. I think they are an excellent buy. They really do focus close (4-5 ft for my eyes).

Dave

update

I am enjoying the heck out of my Audubon Equinox bins! I can use them for hours with no eye fatigue and the darkest thicket is not a problem, even on a cloudy day. The depth of field is good past thirty feet or so, making it fairly easy to see a bird and snap the bins to the target.

This brings up my only (fairly minor) complaint - the focusing is slow, especially at short distances. This can actually be a plus at longer distances, a quarter turn won't put you into a blur, but when going from 10 feet to 50 feet, you might miss something. And as beren001 said, they will get close, I have no problem seeing my shoes in sharp focus - but to get to the top of a tree from my toes takes a lot of turns!

I also think that there are coatings that will let you get closer to the sun without washing the image, but at this price point, I'm not complaining!

update to the update

Huh, I tried to preview and I couldn't get back...anyway, one more thing.

I went out today and it was raining, windy (10- 20mph) and cold (50°F), it was an all day rain, light to medium with waves of heavy. I swaddled myself in Gore-tex, waded down the path, and realized within 100 feet, than I cound not protect my bins inside my coat without getting wet or missing some birds.

I decided to wear my bins outside my cocoon of warmth and dryness, this could only be done because of the "rainguard" ocular cover that comes with the Equinox.

My desicion did not net me any new birds, but did allow me to view 11 species of migrant warblers and have "close encounters" with other species that normally frequent the tops of trees.

The Equinox bins worked great, not only waterproof, but hard to fog. I spent two hours in the rain, came home and dried off and the bins were ready to go before anything else.

Very pleased with these bins.

Steve-O

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back