• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attracting Birds Into My Garden (1 Viewer)

rob2434

Hi

I am looking for some advice on attracting birds into my garden. I am new to this and recently purchased a feeding station but no smaller birds have been near it. Peanuts, sunflower seeds and fat balls are in the feeders.
I have so far had blackbirds on the ground, collared doves and pigeons. I have a town garden but countryside is very nearby. 2 small birds have been on my fence for a brief second but that's about it. Am I doing something wrong or is it due to the fact my garden is not surrounded by fields and trees. Any advice would be appeciated

Further to the above I have tried moving the feeders to different parts of the garden. I have put berries out. Nothing has been in other than the ones I mentioned. I have installed a bird bath.

Welcome to Bird Forum Rob, My back Garden is kind of enclosed and gets very few birds compared with the front which is more open, and close to fields and trees, sometimes it takes time for birds to get used to feeders, especially this time of year when most species have a plentiful supply of natural food, you will probably get more action during the Winter, if i could give you one tip, it would be to provide fresh water in a shallow bird bath, ...guaranteed to bring them in !

Mark

Thanks Mark - does the bird bath need to be near the feeder or anywhere in the garden i.e can the bird bath be in open space or does it need to be more secluded to give them the confidence to use it

My front garden bird bath is fairly open and attracts a variety of birds from Goldfinch to crows, I also have a bird bath nearer to cover in the back garden, and is just as popular, it just takes time for birds to find new feed and water sources, but when they do you will need to top up every day !

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back