• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Assembling the US Navy binoculars at home with half the price!? (1 Viewer)

soheil51

Iran
Hello, a few days ago I saw an ad in an old American magazine, probably from the 1950s, and a company said that it had purchased a large number of prisms, lenses and bodies for military binoculars, 6x30 7x50 and was mailing them to buyers. So that they can assemble it at home and with this method half of the price of the binoculars will be saved and they will have high quality Navy binoculars at a cheap price! It was a very strange ad and how is it possible for someone to assemble a binoculars at home? So what happens to collimation? I have opened a lot of binoculars for repair or curiosity and modification and there is a mountain of prisms and lenses at home ! that I dare not count them and I will have a stroke when I find out their number! But is assembling the binoculars really that simple? It is by an amateur person who is probably seeing these things closely for the first time. Unfortunately, no matter how much I looked for the advertisement on the Internet, I could not find it.

The add is around 70 years old so I doubt there would be anything left or if the seller is still with us. Sounds interesting though.

If you know what you're doing it will be quite easy. That, however, is said from a professional perspective. If you get sucked into that silly, "All you need is a fence post or a roof line, ”you will never get true collimation, only conditional alignment.
Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 2.28.13 PM copy 4.png
Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back