• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are there any Golden eagles left at Haweswater? (1 Viewer)

The lone male bird was still showing well at Riggindale when I visited on 11th August 2010. Evidently there are no plans at at reintroduction to provide the lone bird with a mate. The RSPB view is that the eagles would recolonise by themselves, but what is preventing them is a lack of nesting sites, disturbance (the Lakes are like Piccadilly Circus in August!), and a lack of food. Attempts by Golden Eagles to colonise south-west Scotland are also being hampered by landowners.

The reported Ceredigion Golden Eagle reminded me of the Haweswater bird.

I note that the watchpoint is only open in the summer months but does the bird still show in the Winter??? or is it only in the Spring/Summer when displaying??

The reported Ceredigion Golden Eagle reminded me of the Haweswater bird.

I note that the watchpoint is only open in the summer months but does the bird still show in the Winter??? or is it only in the Spring/Summer when displaying??

It's visible all year round but much more easy to spot in spring and summer.

Phil,

To be honest, we have seen him displaying on many a cold clear winter day and have seen him not bother flying for hours on end when the days are perhaps too hot.

Generally, early Spring maybe the best time- but it is the luck of the drawer- and the right weather.

cheers

I made a post a while back wondering about the presence of GE's at Haweswater and finally saw him again yesterday as I was ascending High Street via the Rough Crag route. Flew off from somewhere below Caspel Gate and headed off towards Kidsty Pike. He must be getting on in age now, shame he hasn't got a partner to grow old with!!

mamo

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back