• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone see Marsh Warbler at E Chevington? (1 Viewer)

Quacker

Reported today on the pager at work, first reported singing, then later reported as still singing but elusive at the S end of the N Pool in the Willowherb?

Anything seen from the N/umberland possee? great bird if it hangs around.

Steve

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :storm:

Okay Steve....what am I looking for LOL *or, more likely, what am I about to dip out on* ;)
What's the song like?

I'm pretty cr*p at warblers ( seem to be pretty bad at a lot of birds!!! LOL) ;)

Might set the video for Bill and whizz off down to East Chev right now...it's a gorgeous hot evening.

Gill

Last edited:
Don't know Gill - just got in on the pager - best of luck with it - a rare bird in the north east (or anywhere) for that matter- it's singing away and viewable from that new hide thingy - (assume a lot of interest there)

Think I'll pop down first thing very early then...far too much work to do tonight * which I SHOULD be doing now instead of tapping away on here!!!* ;)
If it were a Spoonbill or Avocet now...... ;) * you know...something BIG AND OBVIOUS which even I couldn't miss!!!* LOL

Gill

Gill,

What you're looking for is VERY similar to a Reed Warbler... but what it sounds like is very different, and quite spectacular.

Marsh Warbler song is a mixed bag of mimicked phrases "stolen" from other birds' songs, as well as a few bits and pieces of its own - you can usually identify other species calls in the warbler's song. It's good fun!

Best of luck if you go for it.

David

dbradnum said:
It's good fun!

I'll TRY to remember that when I'm cursing and coming out with MOST unladylike language cos the bird ain't showing or singing!!! ;) LOL

Thanks for the help though David.....I'll do my best. o:) Would be rather ironic if I DID see it....haven't even seen my first Reed Warbler yet (well, I did see a fleeting glimpse of a tail disappearing into the reeds by the River Stour in Kent thirteen years ago...was told it was a Reed W. but I can't tick a split second!!!) :eek!:

Gill

Gill Osborne said:
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :storm:

Okay Steve....what am I looking for LOL *or, more likely, what am I about to dip out on* ;)
What's the song like?

I'm pretty cr*p at warblers ( seem to be pretty bad at a lot of birds!!! LOL) ;)

Might set the video for Bill and whizz off down to East Chev right now...it's a gorgeous hot evening.

Gill
You can here the song if you click on the "Resources" section on the top right of the page there is a birdsong section on it.

Here is the database link as well http://www.birdforum.net/bird_view.php?bid=5060

WOW!!! Thanks Marmot...didn't even realise we HAD that on here....I'll be using that a lot more. :clap: Lovely photo too! Is there ANYTHING this site HASN'T got...apart from producing the actual birds for us!!! ;)

As soon as His Lordship goes to work at 3.45 I'll jump in the car and whizz down there...fingers crossed!!! Even if it's gone it'll still be nice to get out in the fresh air and chill out.

Gill

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back