• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone been to Tapanti or El Copal lately? (1 Viewer)

ebwilderae

Cheri and I are going to Tapanti the Kiri Lodge tomorrow and now I see El Copal is not that far if one could but fly as a Fruitcrow... I wrote El Copal re conditions and availability but not sure I will hear back soon or in they do English on their site mail. El Copal looks to be the best chance for us to see Snowcap...in lieu of paying $380/nt at $Rancho Naturalista$.

Hoping to avoid the drive back out to Paraiso but maybe that is just unavoidable. Appreciate anything remotely current. Caio!

Last edited:
Cheri and I are going to Tapanti the Kiri Lodge tomorrow and now I see El Copal is not that far if one could but fly as a Fruitcrow... I wrote El Copal re conditions and availability but not sure I will hear back soon or in they do English on their site mail. El Copal looks to be the best chance for us to see Snowcap...in lieu of paying $380/nt at $Rancho Naturalista$.

Hoping to avoid the drive back out to Paraiso but maybe that is just unavoidable. Appreciate anything remotely current. Caio!

I've been told that almost no English is spoken at El Copal. I've also been told that you might really need some help figuring out how to get there. Apparently there are a couple of turns that are unmarked.

Having said that, almost everyone will tell you it's a great birding location. It's on my list, but I can't seem to find the time to get there.

It is a great place to visit and you do need to speak some Spanish I would say to converse with your hosts Beto and Patricia. Contact is made through Minor Torres <[email protected]> You also should have 4 wd for the last km or so. Directions as per Patrick O'Donnell's ebird guide to birding in Costa Rica. A great place owned and run by local folks out of El Humo the nearby village. Go there if you can.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back