• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody out there? (1 Viewer)

NicoleB

Nature addict
Hey there,
is there anyone still birding here in Hungary?
Maybe even in Somogy county?

I guess not, but I thought I'ld ask ;)

Cheers B :),
Nicole

I was born in the UK, my Father was from Hungary. I lived in Huvosvogy for a few years, about 25 years ago (god that makes me feel old). I went back in 2006 and got caught up in that big August storm after watching the Red Bull air race.

I would love to visit again, I miss the langos and cakes!! The UK's had some nice weather but it didn't last long as usual!

Once again, I didn't get your reply in my mail, grmbl...

Budapest is a great place. It's only a few hours from us, but with the roads the way they are we seldom go.
I wanted to go to the RB event last year, but then we didn't feel like it.

Yepp, some foods are really really good, I love the homemade stuff, Restaurants most often not so much ;)

Most of all I love nature down here and all the animals you can see just in one setting when you are lucky :)
Yesterday was one of those awe inspiring days, sigh :)

Wishing you a good week!

Hi, you didn't get an email because I used the quick reply.

Redbulls on again this month I think. Next week I have to go to India for two weeks otherwise I would have gone to Budapest for RB again.......Maybe next year. I would like to see some wildlife on my next visit to Hungary, I remember a lot of Boars in Budakezi years ago, I wonder how its changed?

You don't hear much of the boars down here in the South (since it's hard to get any decent news that are not in Hungarian, sigh ;) )

I guess I'll be too lazy to hop over to Budapest. It's always a hassle driving, parking, leaving the dogs somewhere.

There must be a big animal fair in the puszta this month too, but it's a heck of a drive and I don't know exactly where it is. Old fashioned and people from all surrounding countries.
So much going on :)

Have been in an ancient moor last Saturday. Not exactly what I expected, since the drought dried it up, but it was cool to see it up close nonetheless.
One day in Spring or autumn I'll go back (and NOT with a pack of 40 people :))

When will be your next trip to Hungary?
I might be hopping to the Middle East in September / October.
We shall see....

(And thanks for solving the email mystery, I was thinking I am missing something ;))

I remember, back in the '80s, there used to be a constant stream of UK birder's nipping over to Hungary. I had a long weekend there last year, after a conference, and I was surprised that I didn't bump into anyone birding around the Buda Hills, Balaton or Velence. Not even Hungarians! Stunning country with great wildlife and close enough to the UK for a short break.
Chris

I agree, Chris.
It is weird.
Maybe things just got too expensive. For foreigners and Hungarians alike.
Local people most times don't seem to care overly much.

When I tell people that we have sea eagles here at the lake, I get a mere shrug, like it's a bird you see on your front porch every day.

Oh well, better for me. I can sit at the lakes and watch them and be all by myself :)

Well, today I'm def misanthropic, this place is driving me nuts right now, ggrrr....
(And thanks for making me look up a new word.
I think, I like that one :) )

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back