• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Shark attack, Australia (1 Viewer)

I'm also under the impression that cuts are clean and sharp - less likely to immediately bleed out as edges seal off. Likewise a different kind of pain than other traumatic blunter injuries, hence not realising?
More likely that the body does realise and one of the aspects of shock - constriction of surface blood vessels, that's why you go white with shock - reduces blood loss from lesser vessels more than one might reasonably expect. Shock also delays the onset of pain (though there is an argument that it is pain that gives shock). But anyway, in relation to sharp clean cuts, think how a paper cut stings.

John

Depending on the wounds the speed of reaction makes all the difference. A wound can be deep but if it misses the arteries you have time. If a biggish artery goes the catastrophic haemorrhage alone will kill quickly. Having someone there who knows exactly what to do to stop the blood loss is vital.

John
Without going in to detail, this latest victim would never have survived the initial attack.

More likely that the body does realise and one of the aspects of shock - constriction of surface blood vessels, that's why you go white with shock - reduces blood loss from lesser vessels more than one might reasonably expect. Shock also delays the onset of pain (though there is an argument that it is pain that gives shock). But anyway, in relation to sharp clean cuts, think how a paper cut stings.

John
It's an interesting aside ... ;-)

Wonder if salt water has any effect too.

EDIT: yes probably - blood solute solution compared to seawater - Google Search

I thought I'd read that clean amputations bleed less as the blood vessels can 'close up' as opposed to cuts with blunter/more ragged edges. It's that meat cleaver effect.

I'm sure there's a lot in play.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back