• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amazonian lodge in ECUADOR (1 Viewer)

xav

Hello
I'll visit Ecuador in July/August and I'll spend the last days of my trip in the amazonian region but I still didn't choose a lodge. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good lodges over there (good birds + if possible not the most expensive ones ;)
Thanks in advance
Xa

Hello
I'll visit Ecuador in July/August and I'll spend the last days of my trip in the amazonian region but I still didn't choose a lodge. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good lodges over there (good birds + if possible not the most expensive ones ;)
Thanks in advance
Xa

Xa

Most of the best are expensive: FWIW I have no commercial interest in any of the following -have only been to Kapawi; try the websites for each lodge:

La Selva - Cocha Antshrike, Orange-crested Manakin, LOng-tailed Potoo
Sacha Lodge - Similar to La Selva
Kapawi - Black-necked red Cotinga, Ochre-striped & White-lored Antpitta, Buckley's F_F; Good for antbirds inc hairy-crested, lunnulated etc but HEAVY hunting pressure (e.g. no Caimans)
Tiputini - Best for Salvin's Currasow (little hunting pressure) and apparently antbirds

Cuyabeno in the NE may be a budget alternative and was good 10 years ago although I still missed the Currasow here which WAS regularly seen.

Good luck, Alan

Alan > Thanks for the informations!

I saw a lodge called SANI, has anyone already been there for birding? Seems to be a really good place for birds.

Xa

Most of the best are expensive: FWIW I have no commercial interest in any of the following -have only been to Kapawi; try the websites for each lodge:

La Selva - Cocha Antshrike, Orange-crested Manakin, LOng-tailed Potoo
Sacha Lodge - Similar to La Selva
Kapawi - Black-necked red Cotinga, Ochre-striped & White-lored Antpitta, Buckley's F_F; Good for antbirds inc hairy-crested, lunnulated etc but HEAVY hunting pressure (e.g. no Caimans)
Tiputini - Best for Salvin's Currasow (little hunting pressure) and apparently antbirds

Cuyabeno in the NE may be a budget alternative and was good 10 years ago although I still missed the Currasow here which WAS regularly seen.

Good luck, Alan

Although I havent been to SANI, I know a guy who takes birding tours there who would not go if it wasnt very good. You can get great birding (with pretty similar lists) at most of the lodges in eastern Ecuador, especially if you can access Yasuni Park which provides better access to terra firme forest and is less disturbed.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back