• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpine species in Upper Valais (1 Viewer)

kilianwasmer

Alpine species in the Upper Valais

Hi there.

Together with my girlfriend I am going to do some (non-birding) hiking in the Upper Valais (Saas Valley, Zermatt,..) with a side trip (I can't resist) to the Cassonsgrat for watching Dotterels during the first week of September.

Now I am still looking for sites in this area for watching typical Alpine species, especially:

Ptarmigan
Alpine Accentor
Rock Thrush
Chough
Snow Finch
(Western) Bonelli's Warbler (Already too late?)

I know, at least some of them aren't easy.. In "Where to watch birds in Switzerland" I could only find some tips for the Riederalp region and in another thread the "Gornergrat" has been mentioned.

Best wishes

Kilian

Last edited:
Hi Kilian

Ptarmigan, Alpine Accentor, Chough and Snowfinch will be easy on Cassonsgrat. All occur on Gornergrat as well, Ptarmigan maybe harder to find there. Just make sure to be on the first train.
In general, Alpine Accentor, Chough (as long as you don't want to see Red-billed) and Snowfinch are to find everywhere above about 2200m. Also Ptarmigan is widespread, although sometimes hard to find. Try to look out for their calls.
Bonelli's Warbler is easy at Leuk (check the Opus article Leukerfeld), but very hard to find at this time of year.
Rock Thrush can be found around Zermatt too, but I don't know any reliable site there. The burnt forest near Leuk is a very good place for them.

Greetings from Switzerland
André

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back