• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alcippe sp. Song ID - David's Fulvetta? Guangxi, China (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

Sound recording taken in June. Elevation 200m in western Guangxi province.

Bird was observed. The presumed alcippe species in this area is David's Fulvetta, but Huet's has also been reported not far away.
Wondering if species ID can be made from song alone. An initial listen to eBird vocalizations left me unsure as both species seemed to have similar songs (of course those songs could also be submitted incorrectly).

Any help would be appreciated,

Mike

Attachments

• Alcippe Sp..wav
    3.8 MB
Hi Mike. It is possible to separate these based on sound but unfortunately in this case it is not definitive. Your recording is a type I sound for Alcippe meaning a whistle without any overtones and without subsequent harmonic sounds (following classification from Tang, 2021). All three Guangxi subspecies (A. d. schaefferi, A. d. davidi, A. h. hueti) make this type of sound. The four whistle phrases in your recording are about 1.01-1.08 seconds in length. This matches more closely with A. d. schaefferi which has average whistle phrase of 0.94 (+/-0.05) compared with A. d. davidi and A. h. hueti with 1.31 (+/-0.09) and 1.27 (+/-0.10) - though note the larger standard deviation for the latter two. So I'd say this is suggestive of A. d. schaefferi but without knowing more about the distributions of the whistle lengths in the Tang analysis it's probably not conclusive.
Nat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back