• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abberton - the demise of a perch and fattening of a heron (1 Viewer)

andygolfer

andygolfer
I spent part of a dull afternoon at Abberton with Bitter b*gger today and watched this heron fishing quite successfully, 4 perch in quite a short space of time, here's a sequence of one catch: watch , strike, catch, swallow, gone! Most of the other birds cleared off as soon as it struck but the gull hung around hoping the heron would drop the fish I suppose.

I've also put some pics of the glossy ibis and a couple of others in the essex birding thread

Attachments

• 2500 heron watching and waiting patiently.jpg
    2500 heron watching and waiting patiently.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 132
  • 2516 heron strike.jpg
    2516 heron strike.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 2530 heron with perch.jpg
    2530 heron with perch.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 2580 heron with perch - going.jpg
    2580 heron with perch - going.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 2592 heron - perch gone.jpg
    2592 heron - perch gone.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back