• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abbe koenig roof and dielectric coating (1 Viewer)

Moez

France
All the articles that I’ve read about binoculars suggest that an Abbe Koenig roofs do not require dielectric coating because they have total internal reflection unlike the Schmidt – Pechan roofs that do require it to minimize light loss . So my question is why would the Bushnell Forge binoculars ,which are an Abbe Koenig roof, require dielectric cotings ?

It is my understanding that the 15x56 forge is the ONLY member of the forge line with AK prisms- their adverts are in error. The rest are SP prismed. Pat
Thnx for ur reply , but If you go the Bushnell official page the entire forge binoculars collection is stated to be Abbe Koenig ( in the description of the binoculars paragraph)

Attachments

• EA9AD905-0172-4245-94E5-D13CD61A54EC.png
    EA9AD905-0172-4245-94E5-D13CD61A54EC.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
This is correct. The marketing department did not make this clear in the description.
Thank you for the reply , yes indeed their marketing department made things very confusing they should give more care to their “official website”

here's a snippet of the allbinos description of the 15x56 bushnell forge "Smaller Forge series binoculars feature Schmidt-Pechan prisms but the big 15×56 model, designed to be used in more difficult lighting conditions, was based on roof Abbe-Koenig prisms."
Do not rely on the advertisment of the bushnell company- email them for verification if you like as I did over a year ago. Regards,Pat

here's a snippet of the allbinos description of the 15x56 bushnell forge "Smaller Forge series binoculars feature Schmidt-Pechan prisms but the big 15×56 model, designed to be used in more difficult lighting conditions, was based on roof Abbe-Koenig prisms."
Do not rely on the advertisment of the bushnell company- email them for verification if you like as I did over a year ago. Regards,Pat
Yes the Allbinos made it clear and you are totally right ( no need to email Bushnell). Thanks a lot for your help !

When I saw the AK mentioned with the forge line I was hot to buy one (not that the SP is a downgrade). since then, I am very interested in the maven 7x45 which is an AK bino but the cost for me is still a bit high (in addition to the possibility that the model might be discontinued) Regards, Pat

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back