• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Short Introduction to Derbyshire (1 Viewer)

Dave Richardson

Derbyshire is a beautiful County situated right in the heart of England.

Derbyshire covers an area of over 1035 square miles with habitats ranging from the broad water meadows of the Trent Valley in the south to the gritstone moorlands in the north. More than half of Britain's first National Park, the Peak District National Park, lies within the county. Dovedale in the limestone dales area in the east of the County is a lovely tourist spot with plenty of walking. The White and Dark Peak areas also provide good walking and climbing opportunities.

A rich species diversity reflects this range of habitat and although an inland county, Derbyshire boasts a species total of more than 300, over 130 of which breed.

The Derbyshire Ornithological Society, formed in 1954, is a voluntary organisation with a membership of over 500. It is a registered charity within the UK and dependant almost entirely on membership subscriptions and donations.

Dave Richardson
Vice Chairman
Derbyshire Ornithological Society

Hi Dave

from a Belper boy in exile in Norfolk.......
sure u will enjoy BF
Derbyshire is a great place....i spent many a happy day at Ogston, Wyver Lane and Carsington Res....as a teenager and on into my mid 20s - it certainly fired my enthusiasm for birds which had continued ever since. Still got family there and visit regularly. Although i've birded many beautiful countries and places I never tire of a spring walk on Wyver Lane or in the dales. Hope to be back soon for a day or two.

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Dave

from a Belper boy in exile in Norfolk.......
sure u will enjoy BF
Derbyshire is a great place....i spent many a happy day at Ogston, Wyver Lane and Carsington Res....as a teenager and on into my mid 20s - it certainly fired my enthusiasm for birds which had continued ever since. Still got family there and visit regularly. Although i've birded many beautiful countries and places I never tire of a spring walk on Wyver Lane or in the dales. Hope to be back soon for a day or two.

Tim,

Thanks for the post, you will be interested to learn there was a Great White Egret at Wyver lane on 10 June (third for the County).

Dave

I used to live so close to Wyver Dave ( my mum's still there!) I saw the GWE and couldn't believe it - was green with envy. Had a few good things there over the years but never any good BB rares

give my regards to Glynn Sellors and Eddie walker if you know em - sure u do - very different characters but i birdeed with both of em!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back