• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A long journey planned (1 Viewer)

Reader

I have also posted a shorter version in the White-backed Woodpecker thread.

I am about to start a long two month trip with my dog in my small Motorhome. Along the way I have at least three target birds, White-backed Woodpecker, Grey Headed Woodpecker and Eagle Owl (all lifers). Tengmalm's Owl would be good to (another lifer) but I doubt if I would get that.

My route will be from Calais on Nov 6th. My route will be using no toll roads and looks like going via Rouen, Dreux, Limoges and I will be stopping for a night at Uzerche. From there I will go to a camp site in Franquevielle (near Saint-Gaudens) and should be there by about Nov 10th, or earlier, for a few days hopefully looking around the Gavarnie area.

From there I will be travelling around Spain via Lleida, Bechite, Tarifa, via Ronda, then to Brazo del Este, Trujillo then to Arrazola where Steve West's report states is a good area for the White-backed.

Any info for any of the above species would be greatfully received, especially the White Backed. I did get to within a few feet of one that was calling in Akseki, Turkey, a few years ago but it was in deep vegitation and we heard it fly off but never got to see it.

I would also like to know if I am likely to encounter any weather related problems in the higher locations I will be visiting within that period and also if dogs are not allowed in any of those areas (I know they are not allowed in the Parc National Des Pyrenees).

Are there any good sites along my route down and back. Coming back from Arrazola should bring me relatively close the the Atlantic areas and I will be catching the Shuttle back on Dec 21st.

Any help and advice on any of the above would be appreciated.

John

Well that has surprised me with no replies. Normally Birdforum members are quick to respond with helpful tips and advice. I was hoping this would be so with my requests for help.

Surely there are birders out there that can help me as I will be starting out on Nov 4th (doing some birding around Kent before joing Eurotunnel on Nov 6th).

All tips and advice would be greatfully received.

TIA John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back