• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A brief introduction to the county of Surrey (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
The Surrey pages don't seem to be used much, so I thought I'd put in a general intro. Perhaps over the coming months members living in Surrey can add info about their own best birding patches.

Surrey is a land-locked county, about 722 sq miles (167,000 hectares) in area and had a population of 1,000,900 at the time of the 1991 census. Thus the population density is about 6.5 people per hectare. However the population is by no means uniformly distributed. The area of NE Surrey within the M25 (the circular motorway around London) is densely populated, whereas the rest consists of a few pockets of high population, such as the city of Guildford, and largely rural areas.
Much of Surrey outside the M25 is agricultural land. Livestock and arable farming are both important. But there are also areas of heath and woodland—none very extensive. There are a few lakes in the rural areas and some large reservoirs around the R Thames which forms the northern boundary for much of Surrey. Writing in "Surrey Nature Line" (No 117 2000/2001) Roger Suckling wrote: "'Although Surrey has no coastline or mountains, it encompasses a variety of geological features and habitats. Within the county are chalk downland, agricultural land, extensive woodland, heaths, small areas of marshland, quarries, standing and riverine fresh-waters and managed and unmanaged open spaces."
Perhaps the heath land is the most important habitat in Surrey as it is home to some rare creatures and has been drastically reduced nationally during the present century. Heath forms on sandy soil and is characterized by gorse, heather and low-growing grasses. It has to be managed though or it becomes invaded by silver birch and Scotch pine and eventually becomes woodland. It is the preferred habitat of such birds as nightjar, Dartford warbler, woodlark and tree pipit—though only the warbler is completely dependent on heath. It is also the best place to look for great grey (=northern) shrikes, though these have been rare in recent winters, and can be good for hobby in summer.
There are some good spots for birds within Surrey-in-London such as Barn Elms wetland reserve, recently set up by the Wildfowl and Wetland Trust, and Richmond Park, a royal deer park. Also Beddington Sewage farm, although it may not sound very attractive, seems to bring a good variety of waders and raptors into the London area.
One cause of confusion is that the national government redrew the boundary of Surrey in 1974 (and at other times), so that it now includes Spelthorne, an area to the North of the Thames which has some large, man-made reservoirs important for birds. The annually published Surrey Bird Report (SBR) does not cover Spelthorne but it will be included in a new book on the county's birds which is due to be published in the near future.
It's hard to say how many active bird-watchers there are in Surrey but over 360 contributed some 22,000 records for the 1998 SBR.
Altogether 319 species of birds have been reliably identified in Surrey since 1900. This includes a few from North America as pied-billed grebe and Common Nighthawk but national rarities tend to occur more commonly on coastal counties and off-shore islands.
The Surrey Bird Club website is worth a look:
http://www.sbclub.ukonline.co.uk/

There is also a Yahoogroup called Surreybirders with about 150 members, not all of whom live in Surrey. This year, 2004, we are organising a 'local patch challenge' where members see who can observe the most species within a 5 x 5 km square.

Last edited:
Shame Surrey pages don't get used! I live in Surrey and see lot's of birds and there are lots of beautiful open spaces.

louiseuk said:
Shame Surrey pages don't get used! I live in Surrey and see lot's of birds and there are lots of beautiful open spaces.

My local patch is East Surrey / Greater London borders and is a combination of City of London, Croydon CC & Tandridge DC.

It has many names but is best known as Riddlesdown and is an area between Whyteleafe, Kenley, Hamsey Green and Sanderstead. Mostly on Chalk with areas of clay top soil. Near Whyteleafe it is mostly a recreation ground but the backing hills are clad in trees and shrubs and a few survining patches of chalk downland.

At the top of the hill, from near Hamsey Gren to Sanderstead are disused fields with patches of woodland. The fields aer left weel alone except about once a year for harvesting hay Getting close to Kenley is a disused chalk quarry that I am sure will be inhabited by a peregrine or two sooner or later

I usually take in a walk from Whyteleafe to hamsey Green and regularly see
long tailed, blue and great tits. Had a coal tit earlier this year. Greater spotted and green woodpeckers, kestrel, RIng necked parakeets, nuthatch, treecreeper are there as well. Meadow and tree pipits, skylarks and too many crows all easily seen as are chiff chaffs and the odd willow warbler. A nice variety. Croydon RSPB asked me to look out for a little owl which had been reported about 2 years ago but none seen so far, neither have tawny's been heard.

Anyway it is a nice little patch to go through for half an hour to 2 hours possibly seeing a fox, deer or badgers. I's rather share it with fellow birders than the hoards of dog walkers so, if visiting mind where you tread.

rgds

Stevie babe

Stevie babe said:
My local patch is East Surrey / Greater London borders and is a combination of City of London, Croydon CC & Tandridge DC.

It has many names but is best known as Riddlesdown and is an area between Whyteleafe, Kenley, Hamsey Green and Sanderstead. Mostly on Chalk with areas of clay top soil. Near Whyteleafe it is mostly a recreation ground but the backing hills are clad in trees and shrubs and a few survining patches of chalk downland.

At the top of the hill, from near Hamsey Gren to Sanderstead are disused fields with patches of woodland. The fields aer left weel alone except about once a year for harvesting hay Getting close to Kenley is a disused chalk quarry that I am sure will be inhabited by a peregrine or two sooner or later

I usually take in a walk from Whyteleafe to hamsey Green and regularly see
long tailed, blue and great tits. Had a coal tit earlier this year. Greater spotted and green woodpeckers, kestrel, RIng necked parakeets, nuthatch, treecreeper are there as well. Meadow and tree pipits, skylarks and too many crows all easily seen as are chiff chaffs and the odd willow warbler. A nice variety. Croydon RSPB asked me to look out for a little owl which had been reported about 2 years ago but none seen so far, neither have tawny's been heard.

Anyway it is a nice little patch to go through for half an hour to 2 hours possibly seeing a fox, deer or badgers. I's rather share it with fellow birders than the hoards of dog walkers so, if visiting mind where you tread.

rgds

Stevie babe

Sounds nice and lots of different birds, I think I will have to pay it a vist with my wellies ;)
I am near Kingston and not far from the river Thames, I love the swans down there, I once had the chance to stroke one underneath (I was crounching down and they just come around me) and it let me do so!
I have haven't seen a coal tit as yet but I did see a pair of parakeets last year flying over Molesey!

Surrey Birders - New Website

31.1.07 - NEW SURREY BIRDERS WEBSITE

A new website has been launched for the bird watchers of Surrey, "Surrey Birders".

Surrey Birders website is an inter-active site designed for people who watch birds in Surrey. The site can be found at:

www.birders-online.co.uk/index.php

This website is for local people in Surrey - every thing on the site is geared towards this. Our current members include casual bird watchers who might spend a few hours a week watching birds in their garden or place of work, to those that are considerably keener!

The main basis of the site is for the recording of sightings made in the boundaries of Surrey - members (free membership) are able to log sightings and view sightings made by other members using extensive database search faculties.

Our main aim is to encourage as many local people as possible to regularly report their sightings, in an easy and reliable format. We are looking for all sightings, no matter how common the species may be or regular that may be. To achieve this, we have made the website as easy to operate as possible and have included a forum for members to discuss topics \ issues. There is also an optional patchlist challenge, for members who really want a challenge.

All sightings are sent to the county recorder.

Why not visit the site and give it a go.

Kind regards

www.birders-online.co.uk

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back