• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5D Mark III Autofocus Modes Advice (1 Viewer)

After regularly going out and taking pictures for 2 years from 2012-2014, I've had to take a year and a half out to focus on my studies. From 2012-2014 I used a 40d and 500mm f4 IS, and was starting to achieve results I was very pleased with. During my time out I upgraded to a 5D Mark III (thinking I'd have time to use it), though I've only managed to start taking pictures again in the last few weeks. Although I'm a little rusty, I've more or less got back into everything, with exception to the autofocus modes. In the camera there are 6 different AF modes, with the one I have been using being Zone AF mode. However, unlike with my old 40d Single Point AF mode, I'm having trouble getting precise focus on the bird with this mode, especially it seems when the subject is further away, often with the water in front being more in focus. I've achieved better focus with AF Point Expansion modes and Single Point AF on the 5D III, so is zone AF simply harder maintain specific focus on the bird? Even with other modes it doesn't seem to be completely in focus.

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• Birdforum Sample.jpg
    Birdforum Sample.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I use Spot AF on my T4i since the only thing you want in focus is the bird, and I generally aim for the eye. When the bird is in heavy cover zone or phase AF might struggle in focusing on the bird. With Zone AF and other modes the camera doesn't seem to focus as quickly or accurately. Your focus problem could be that with single point you were pointing at the tail of the bird as the camera focused (lens shake) or your lens may need to be calibrated.

When you're uploading photos make sure they're within the maximum file size or they will not be uploaded. This might be your problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back