• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 photos- 3 i.d.s (2 Viewers)

John D

hope this has worked, thanks for any help.
JOHN D

Attachments

• DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF0044.JPG
    DSCF0044.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF0039.JPG
    DSCF0039.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0048.JPG
    DSCF0048.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 97
1) Red Chestnut
2) ?
3) ?
4) Agonopterix arenella

I would hazard a guess at the middle two being variants of the same species, but I haven't a clue what! When and where were they caught John?
Hope you don't mind but I've 'enhanced' the second photo to hopefully enable someone else to i.d. them. I'm completely stumped!

EDIT: I've just realised that you said only 3 for i.d. so 2 & 3 must be one and the same insect. Still none the wiser though. Nearest thing I can come up with is 'The Shears' a notoriously variable species, but to this extent?

Attachments

• DSCF0044.jpg
    DSCF0044.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Thanks Chris for the 2 ids, the other moth, was caught in the garden, of a cottage in Capel Curig this week, Wales. The photos are of the same moth, if its of any help there was a small Oak wood behind the cottage.

There's a specimen of 'The Shears' in Skinner that looks very similar to this moth (example 3 plate 29) so I'll stick with that. It's still about a month earlier than it should be though!

Hi John D,

I agree with Chris over pics 1 & 4. Photo's 2 & 3 Have me stumped as well. It is very early for the Shears and they are also somewhat similar to several of the 'Brocade' moths. This one was definately one you should have kept a hold of until your local Moth Recorder could have had a look at it. Sorry I can't be more help.

Harry Eales.

John D said:
Thanks Chris for the 2 ids, the other moth, was caught in the garden, of a cottage in Capel Curig this week, Wales. The photos are of the same moth, if its of any help there was a small Oak wood behind the cottage.

I wonder if the mystery moth might be Glaucous Shears? It occurs a little earlier than the Shears and does occur in Wales.

Colin

Thanks for all your replies, i'm still unsure of the moths id. Having had a look at some photos on various websites, could it be a Frosted Green.
JOHN D

Never seen a Frosted Green, don't think its been recorded in Ireland yet, but the timing, Oak wood, would be right, and the picture doesn't look too bad either if one ignores the hind wing. and if thiose squares are 5mm, then size would be quite near.
I shall await what others say.

Yep. You've got it, it's a Frosted Green. Like a numbnut, I went straight to noctuids. Well done.

CJW said:
Yep. You've got it, it's a Frosted Green. Like a numbnut, I went straight to noctuids. Well done.

Ouch, my nuts are numb too. It is The Frosted Green. I made the same error as well in going to the Noctuids. Nice looking species, unfortunately it doesn't occur this far north.

Harry Eales.
:eat: That's Humble Pie by the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back