• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

35mm/'Scope Photography (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
I'd like to ask advice of our illustrious experts!:brains:

I've been having a tentative look for a second hand 'scope – as this is the only way I think I will be able upgrade my optics.

I noticed one BF member had an Opticron ED available, and as I am still at my "research" stage, I had a quick look on the Opticron Website to see what this actually was.

Whilst I was there, I noticed that it is possible to buy couple of bits of kit (T-mount and adaptor?) which would enable me to use the 'scope for photography with my Minolta 35mm SLR camera.

In all the talk of Digital, this option has completely bypassed me.

Is there anyone out there with this kind of setup?

Is it an avenue worth pursuing?

Anything I need to be careful to avoid?!

Any advice would be gratefully received. :h?:

My previous scope was an Optolyth 80mmHD (straight) and I bought the adaptor to enable me to use my 35mm SLR 'film' camera with it.
I got some very good results, but the disadvantages were :-

1 - Small aperture approx f10.7, which basically meant I had to use a fast film i.e. 800 asa so there was a noticeable amount of grain. On bright days I could get away with 400 asa, but if I had that loaded and only took a couple of shots, when I came to use it again and the light was poor, then my shutter speeds were too slow and I'd end up with 30+ blurred shots then I could load an 800 asa again.

2 - The Optolyth had a screw thread for the eyepiece / adaptor and because I was taking a lot of photo's in between using my scope for viewing the thread started to wear away and slivers of metal were coming off the thread, so I decided to buy a prime 600mm lens and keep the scope just for viewing.

As I said above the results I got were very good. I took the set-up with me to America back in 2000 and was able to get a lot of good 'record' shots of the birds that I saw. I did take about 15 rolls of film though and got over 170 'keepers'

I now use a Coolpix 4500 with my Swaro AT80HD and absolutely love it. The fact that I can get nearly 500 shots on my cards and then just print off the best ones is fantastic.

I still have my 35mm SLR kit hoping one day to get a digital SLR because for moving birds it's a lot easier with a lens than with a scope.

Hope this helps.

Tufty.

I used to use an slr with a Kowa tsn4 (77mm), I encountered pretty much the same as Paul.... though I found it difficult to focus the scope on the subject due to a very dark viewfinder (Nikon f70 & f90). Even so, I managed at asa400 in reasonable light.

Remember that it isn't digiscoping and most 80mm scopes turn into 800mm @ f10+ (10++++ is more accurate!). Frame-filling birds won't be the norm, but you do have more scope to crop/enlarge with film (though asa800 is pretty limited)

Taking off your conventional eyepiece for the slr adapter is a real pain in the field.
Andy

Thanks for getting back to me on this guys - I appreciate your help, although some of what you have said is a bit techie for me.

I'm not sure of aperture sizes and all that mullarkey - very much the beginner.

I probably should have said the right at the start - but I already own a fairly cheap (Cosina) 400mm zoom lens.

I know you've said that a 35mm / scope set up won't always produce frame-filling birds, but would I get better shots than the attached?

That fairly ropey effort was taken from about 20 yards at full zoom using 200 film (all settings automatic - no flash) with average visibilty.

Thanks again to anyone who takes the time to answer.

Attachments

• tufty2.jpg
    tufty2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 367
I have never taken a picture through a scope, but I do take pictures of dragonflies with a 200mm macro lens. (See my web site or forum gallery for examples.) I think some of the skills I have learnt will also apply to scope photography.

I would not recommend 800 ASA film if you can avoid it. 100 ASA is required for good quality A4 prints. But if you want a record shot then you could use 200 ASA. The biggest problem I have is vibration. I suspect this will be even worse through a scope at 20x magnification. The trick I use to allow exposures of 1/100 second with 100 ASA film on a bright day and the aperture set to F11 (for depth of field) is to place a bean bag on top of the camera lens combination, such that half the bag rests on top of the camera penta-prism, and half on the lens. I use a cable release otherwise my pressing the shutter would cause shake. You can also use the self timer to reduce vibration, but that assumes that Tweety Pie won't move during the count down. Photographers who use long lenses (600mm F4) also have special techniques, pressing down on the lens above the tripod head, and holding their breath when pressing the shutter release, and so on.

Hi Birdman,
I use SLR and love it even with all the down sides compared to digital. ok, a roll of film will only hold so many shots when a card is well shall we say unlimited because you can discard them straight away if you dont like the exposure. I am playing at the moment with a 600mm mirror lens and getting some nice shots but finding out you have to use a fast film (800) dont even think of asa100 it is just too slow for the size lens even if you can get better quality! first things first, just practice & stick at it. birds are alway on the move even if it has sat on a twig for half hour you can bet as soon as you go to take it away it goes so for me being quick on the move is better than being restricted in other ways. the digital i have used is a Fugifilm MX-2900 and to be honest i find the shutter release too slow for my way of working. maybe i am old school and set in my camera ways you have to figure that out for yourself and see if you get on with them. maybe a trip to a near bird fair or open day would help explain it all but remember they are there to SELL so take your time and do your home work. it is too much to part with£££ and wish you had looked around later.
i just got myself a monopod from Jessup and find it a great help, only one leg to fall over & very versatile. maybe worth a look £14 with the card discount i think.
have fun & enjoy what your doing with what you can afford. you dont always need the best to take the best, plenty of SLR's are over 25 years old and still going strong....... where will digital be next year????????????? probably better but who knows.
have fun

Hi Birdman

In ideal conditions and with a good quality scope it is possible to get better results than your tufty shot. However, I must concur and re-emphasise the previous comments about swapping over lenses/eyepieces in the field - a real pain and an accident waiting to happen!

The Cosina zoom lens is not highly rated at the 400mm end - which, unfortunately is the end that birders need! If you don't need the other 100-399mm's for other subjects then one option is to trade it in against a second-hand 400mm prime lens like the Sigma Apo. Assuming your Minolta is an auto-focus model, then the 'Apo-Macro' version is highly desirable. 'Internal-focussing' lenses drop in focal length as you focus closer, and in order to accomodate the inevitable big drop at the macro end of this lens it has a much longer focal-length at the infinity end (486mm, according to the test report in 'Amateur Photographer' magazine). This is a high-quality piece of kit quite able to match most people's aspirations.

Hope this is of interest to you and others (but Canon-users wanting to 'go digital' should be aware that this lens in EOS-fitting may not work with Canon 'D' [or EOS30] cameras!)

Adey Baker

Two jobs to d ohere Adey.

First, as this is your first post, let me welcome you to Bird Forum.
:t:

If you haven't done so already, take a look around the site, and I am sure you will find plenty of interest to you.

Secondly, many thanks for you help. I got the Cosina before I started thinking I could take pix of birds, and you are right - for the most part the first 399mm don't get used.

I'm grateful for the advice you've given, and I will bear that in mind as I choose how to go forward.

Likwise too, wizard, and thanks to you also for taking the time out to offer your help.

Cheers

birdman.
have got the same kit by the sounds of it, minolta 404si plus
cosina 4oomm lens, and yes bought t mount plus adapter cost
about £90 then it dident work connectors did not match, rang minolta but got the usual bull when no one wants to know!!! thought prime lens price phew!! so got 2x converter. yes you loose some stops about 2 witch isent to bad, still get good photos, just cant get into digi yet thats a me thing.
just to say give it a go.
good look bert. there can be no rainbow without a cloud and
a storm.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back