• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2002 List Report (1 Viewer)

dennis

Have binoculars. Will travel.
Hello all.

I just received my copy of the American Birding Assoc. yearly list report from its' members. Thought I'd share a few reports and see how it may compare to other reports you have heard.

ABA members totals(reported, not all are):

World list leader - Tom Gullick of Spain with 8,195

North America - Dan Canterbury of Florida, 1,731

South America - Tom Gullick(Spain), 2,784

Africa - Ian Sinclair(South Africa), 2,092

Australasia - Peter Kaestner(Brazil), 979

Eurasia - Hugh Buck(Cyprus), 2,391

ABA Region(Continental US and Canada) - Macklin Smith(MI), 862

Annual list for Canada - Paul Jones(Ontario), 346

Annual list for the world - Ian Sinclair(South Africa), 2,261

I have many more including each US State. Let me know if you're interested.

dennis

Last time I looked, a Hoosier couple, Jim and Susan Hengeveld (both are faculty at Indiana University), topped the list for backyard lists -- down at Lake Lemon in Monroe County, just outside of Bloomington. They can see woods, lake, mudflat, and wetlands from their back deck -- and their list for 2003 was well over 100 last time I checked.

They host a Big Sit on their deck each year in October -- I really should drive down sometime and go sit with them.

Now I've found you Michael. Northumberland(315). That is an impressive amount for my whole state(Pennsylvania)!!

How big are your counties? The more I'm thinking about it, the more impressed I'm getting.

dennis

Hi Dennis,

Northumberland is a fairly large county in UK terms, roughly 50 x 45 miles. I'm not the top county lister, though (I think!) in the top 10. The top scorer has 325.

We've got a very good coastline, which helps a lot of course - plenty of seabirds, and good for finding lost migrants from Asia.

Michael

Hi Glen,

Robert Fox of Mass. leads the way with 430 species. He is followed by Gerald Soucy and William C. Drummond with 417 each.

dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back