• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 weeks in Australia! (1 Viewer)

lvb2

Netherlands
Very happy to be able to spend two weeks in Australia! We'll be moving roughly between Byron Bay and Hervey Bay and we'll be spending a few days a bit inland as well.
Thankfully it is not the first (and hopefully not the last either!) time I visit Australia so have seen around 200 Australian-species sofar (in Queensland) and obviously I would like to see as many (new)birds as possible.

I will visit the first two weeks of August so maybe not the best time of year. As time is short I am looking for tips about good birding-sites in that area specifically at that time of year and maybe a good guide.
Especially tips for smaller passerines and birds from the inland would be more then welcome but then again it would be a pleasure to see the forest birds again too.

If you drive inland, try a trip to Toowoomba up on the Great Dividing Range. It's about half in-between the two places you mention. Beautiful small city, lots of bush and bird life.

I agree with Toowoomba - a lovely town. Easy access from there to two of the forests that I visited, one at Yarraman and the other was Bunya Mountains. We had breakfast at a restaurant at Maidenwell. You can read about this in my trip report: Two Months of Lifers Down Under. That's the post for Bunya.

It was a different time of year, but a lot of the birds seen were residents.

Other highlights that you could maybe get to were Bribie Island, North Stradbroke Island and Sandy Camp Road Wetlands in Brisbane.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back