• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1972 County bird report - which species is this? (1 Viewer)

kb57

Europe
From Birds in Northumbria 1972:
'A resident, commonest in SE Northumberland, but gradually spreading to the North and West.
The westerly expansion was illustrated by the occurrence of three singing males at Burnhopefield (sic.) and birds at Norham and Stamfordham, all apparently new areas.
Flocks occur in winter, the two largest both being in February with 40 at Wallsend Swallow Pond on 2nd and 60 at Druridge on 20th'.

(Answer next Monday when I next get a chance to log into BirdForum)

Dunno (will continue to give it some thought), but I'm intrigued at the circumstances around the question. Is this voluntary? Are the deepest darkest parts of Northumberland only intermittently receiving internet (perhaps when the clouds, stars and/or powers align)? Bail conditions? It will take that long to navigate out of the library next?

Collared Dove? Would have expected them to be more numerous and widespread than that by '72, but i dunno..
Sounds like a good call to me, I remember my Mum being excited about going to Slimbridge because there was already a colony there, must have been about then.

John

And the winner is @rosbifs - here is the relevant page from the report, which also makes for some depressing reading regarding the subsequent fate of the other two species on the page (150 yellowhammers?!). (BTW I was in darkest Paris, which has great internet, but didn't have my laptop and hate trying to navigate internet sites on my 1st gen iPhone SE screen...)IMG_4437.png

Well done Rosbifs!

Interesting about the Yellow Breasted Bunting distribution.
I think the moral of the story is unfortunately that species we think are doing well can quickly go into reverse if circumstances change - in the case of corn bunting I guess a big change from the early '70s was the increase in winter cereals, while the now Critically Endangered yellow-breasted bunting has basically been killed and eaten in China in completely unsustainable numbers.

I think the moral of the story is unfortunately that species we think are doing well can quickly go into reverse if circumstances change - in the case of corn bunting I guess a big change from the early '70s was the increase in winter cereals, while the now Critically Endangered yellow-breasted bunting has basically been killed and eaten in China in completely unsustainable numbers.
YB Bunting = was lucky enough to see one of the last years of breeders at Liminka, Finland in 1999, I think they held on a bit longer in the South East. As you say an incredibly sad turn around in fortunes! Had my first Ortolan the same day at the visitor centre.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back