• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Webcam for A Mourning Dove's Nest? (1 Viewer)

Don M.

United States
Hello everyone, first time posting here. A couple of days ago a pair of mourning doves built a nest in an empty flower pot on my apartment's balcony. They are super cute and my partner and I just want to see what they are up to without disturbing them too much, hence the idea of installing a webcam. Is this generally a good idea? They haven't laid any eggs yet and would sometimes leave the nest unoccupied for a few hours, so I figured now might be the best time to do so.

My main worry is that, would the infrared light from the camera disturb the birds at night? Also, would it alarm them too much if something just popped up in the vicinity of their nest? I will definitely install the camera when they are away, I just don't want them to be scared away by the camera when they return.

Both my partner and I have zero bird knowledge (maybe except for the Wingspan board game haha), but we really want to treat our new dove neighbors well :) Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions!!

Welcome to Birdforum.

I would not install a webcam now as you are right - something appearing could cause them to abandon the nest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back