• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

viking-rspb (1 Viewer)

wee kayso

i just recently bought myself a new pair of bins,i bought myself a pair of VIKING NAVIGATOR 8X42 at a cost of £100,my father in law has a pair of R.S.P.B BG.PC 8X42 that cost him 3 times as much as mine,he agrees that my bins are brighter ,clearer the only thing that is the eye cups are different on his ,but doesnt viking make the R.S.P.B.brand............

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 248
Viking/RSPB Bins

Wee kayso.

Yes Viking do make the RSPB Bins and scopes but to a different spec. Try contacting them to discuss the differences.

I know at the Birdfair this year Viking are launching a new RSPB HD bino in both 8 x 42 and 10 x 42. and having spoken to them they are very positive of the quality, which they would say but at Titchwell Marsh the staff have tried them and said they are comparable to Leica/Swaro's but at half the price. Also on this forum there has been good comments about them.

So it's horses for courses and thats why it's always good to try them first at places like Titchwell et al.

Richard

I spoke to a guy from Viking at a demo recently and he said that in his personal opinion the RSPB WPG 8.5x42 were the best bins that they made and that these were "hurting the sales of both the more expensive RSPB and Viking ones, because, to be honest - they're shaper and brighter"

I tried several before I spoke to him (he was with another customer) and before I saw any prices. I have to say that I was really impressed with the WPGs and thought they'd be the most expensive, but they aren't at £239!

I am thinking of getting some myself, but I really wanted something a bit smaller and lighter.

I have also noticed though that consistancy is a problem in build. I tried three different pairs of the same bins and each one was different. It's a bit like Sigma lenses for cameras - you can get good examples and bad ones.

If I could have guaranteed when I went back to buy them that I was getting the pair I had tried earlier I might have gone for them - but I couldn't because they had ones on demo and then ones boxed. I wasn't prepared to risk I'd get a bad one.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back