• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown call, Ochil Hills, Scotland (1 Viewer)

pica pica

Hello

Odd call I couldnt identiry yesterday morning while in the Ochil Hills. Calling from a dense conifer plantation about 200+m away. It's the plaintive call in the background behind the noise of the burn and the jays. Apologies for the terrible recording but taken on my phone.

Attachments

• 2024-05-01 1009 2.wav
    2.4 MB
Hello again,

thanks! Thats one of the problems of ID of sounds at least for me.

Similar calls that came into my mind (although not a perfect fit, yes the usual reasons) are
  • a vagrant Scops Owl (although they have longer intervalls between single notes, regular/ often?)
  • Common Midwife Toad, which shouldnt occur in Scotland (are Amphibien sounds far carrying? Oh yes, I can epand that later)
Better wait for more comments. Thanks from me too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back