• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Timing of moa extinction (1 Viewer)

albertonykus

Foxon, F. (2024)
The Moa the merrier: resolving when the Dinornithiformes went extinct
Belgian Journal of Zoology 154: 1–9
doi: 10.26496/bjz.2024.114

The Moa (Aves: Dinornithiformes) are an extinct group of the ratite clade from New Zealand. The overkill hypothesis asserts that the first New Zealand settlers hunted the Moa to extinction by 1450 CE, whereas the staggered survival hypothesis allows for Moa survival until after Europeans began to arrive on New Zealand. Alleged Moa sightings post-1450 CE may shed light on these competing hypotheses. A dataset of 97 alleged Moa sightings from circa 1675 CE to 1993 CE was constructed, with sightings given subjective quality ratings corresponding to various statistical probabilities. Cumulative probabilities of Moa persistence were calculated with a conservative survival model using these probabilistic sighting-records; a method recently applied to sightings of the Thylacine. Cumulative persistence probability fell sharply after 1408 CE, and across pessimistic and optimistic variations of the model, it was more likely than not that the Moa were extinct by 1770 CE. Probabilistic sighting-record models favour the overkill hypothesis, and give very low probabilities of Moa persistence around the time of European arrival. Eyewitness data on Moa sightings are amenable to scientific study, and these methods may be applied to similar animals.

Sorry to ask a silly question but what does the abreviation CE means. It must have to do with time. I hate all those modern abreviation in my dutch language, let alone in a bloody foreign language.

For the rest, it seems a very interesting paper! Thanks Albertonykus.

Fred

Sorry to ask a silly question but what does the abreviation CE means. It must have to do with time. I hate all those modern abreviation in my dutch language, let alone in a bloody foreign language.

Fred
CE = Common (Current) Era, in the past it was called AD

I think the moa became extinct in the early days of the Maori settlement (14th or 15th century) and not later. The same is for the Haast's Eagle.

Fred
Given your interest with Paleontology, Fred, the term CE may well seem modern, but it comes from the Latin equivalent derived by Dionysius Exiguus in 525 CE.

The present form of the BCE/CE dating system was introduced in the 17th century and has been used since in scholarly publications read by people of all faiths and cultures in an effort to be inclusive.
MJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back