• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SW Turkey in October? (1 Viewer)

grahamknight10

Hi

We are going on holiday to Hisaronu in mid-October - can anyone help me with what will be around then?

In particular will the specialities, such as White-throated Robin, Red-fronted Serin and Finsch's Wheatear be gone from their well known haunts (eg Seki - Elmani?)

Also will there be migrants around, and what can I expect in Hisaronu / Olu Deniz / Kayakoy?

Many thanks in advance

Graham

Hi Graham

We went to Turkey in June, flew to Dalaman airport, and getting off the plane we had Bonelli's Eagle, these are not a common sight but they are about all year round, also Alpine Swift, but i dont think you will see them !
Lots of Black Kites, Nightjar and one Spanish Sparrow.
Look forward to seeing what you do see.
We stayed in Ovacik, right out in the hills.
Thats all i can give you buddy, but i bet there are more here who can help.
Welcome to BF

ps are you the Graham who is at Tyttenhanger lots ?
if so you might remember me...

Hi Steve - yes thats me - although these days I am at Tyttenhanger a few times a year rather than a few times a week! Good to catch up with you - I remember you well.

Thanks for the info too, we are staying up in the pine forests too, so am looking forward to those Nuthatches and Woodpeckers!

Graham

I would guess the W-T Robins are gone, the Serins and Wheatear will still be there based on my experiences half november in Birecik. Look out for the odd Spotted Eagle and go to Burdur lake if you want to see more than 5000 White-Headed Ducks (the biggest wintering ground for the species). I wish you all the best with the birds!

Thanks Temmie

I will try to post a brief report when we return. In the mean time another question - how easy is it to hire a car when we are out there, as opposed to booking in advance?

Cheers
Graham

Hi Graham

You will have no problem at all hiring a car, we didn't as there was 7 of us but we did hire some mopeds to go up in to the mountains, thats probably why we didn't see many birds once we got there lol.

Have fun bud its a great place, and the ffs beer is a winner B :)

Hi All(if anyones there)
I'm going to Hisanoru for three weeks May-June 2010,i wonder if anyone could give any tips of what to look for,where to go or recommend any books that may be of help to a novice birder.I've been to Hisanoru before and all i can remember is a warbler that hopped around the lawn all eating insects all day and lots of dark brown jayish birds i wonder if anyone could id these for me(it was late summer)thanks for taking time to read this.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back