• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Staffordshire info please (1 Viewer)

Gus Horsley

Hello

I'll be spending a week in the Leek area at the end of September. Can anybody recommend some good birding sites for that time of year and indicate what I might see there? I'm prepared to visit sites within about a thirty mile radius.

Ta very much

Gus

Hi Gus

us Staffs birders ususally travel in the opposite direction and head south west about that time of year!!!!

Is there anything in particular you want to see whilst you are up here? I have got Willow Tit on my local patch in Stoke, there are Red Grouse on the North Staffs Moors other than that we just do the local resrs i.e Blithfield,Tittersworth Belvide etc.

Try the West Midland Bird club website that also may give you a better idea of the local birdlife.

We also have a local Birdline run by a local birder at normal rates which is quite useful, if you send me a personal e-mail i will give you the number and the instructions for its use.

Other than that if you need anymore info get in touch.

Phill.

Sylvia don't direct him to Westport or Knyp, you'll leave him feeling suicidal!!!! As Phill says the North Staffs Moors has a wide variety of birds, though some of the main attractions such as Ring Ouzel and Whinchat will have moved on by then, Swallow Moss is probably your best bet. I'd reccommend Blithfield to you, often picks up good birds, and should be worth a visit in late September. Also Carsington Water may be worth a look in, as could Tittesworth like Phill says. Aside from that Deep Hayes CP near by can often be a nice place simply for a look around, and they have Marsh Tit there which are pretty scarce at the moment. I would reccommend you don't go too Coombes Valley, it is very hard to bird nowadays, and i doubt there will be much there anyway. Dovedale is a beautiful spot too, and often there's a Peregrine or Dipper around, and its also an enjoyable walk along the River Dove.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back