• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor species that soar in the UK (1 Viewer)

curlewsandpiper1980

Which raptor species in the UK, usually are seen soaring in the UK (besides Buzzard)?

And what is their soaring style compared to Buzzard?

Sometimes I struggle to identify a soaring raptor, if views are poor or in distance. So I want to consider all soaring raptors and also their subtle differences in when soaring, to distinguish them from the common buzzard, if I spot a soaring raptor in distance.

Species often soaring:
Buzzard (soaring in circles, with wings raised, and flapping a couple of times at regular points when circling), Golden Eagle (a more relaxed and gliding flying style, less wing beats than buzzard), Osprey (wings more arched down, but soaring style seems more similar to buzzard), Peregrine (soaring less in circles and with more direct lines, and faster - more occasional less regular wing beats), Honey Buzzard (soar with level wings - but I never seen one so I can't say much), Red Kite (a more buoyant style and seemingly effortlessly, less wing beats - of course their silhouette is quite distinctive)

Seen soaring less often:
Goshawk (using more powerful wing beats in-between the soaring circles), Sparrowhawk (the typical fast flap-flap glide is the only thing I can think of, which is rather different - do sparrowhawks and goshawks soar often?)

Do these species ever soar? I have never seen them soaring
Kestrel, Merlin, Hen Harrier, Owls?

Please feel free to correct me, and add your thoughts for each species. Thanks,

I have seen Goshawks and Sparrowhawks soar - the latter more so in the breeding season.
I have seen Kestrel and Hen Harrier soar too.

How long is it before it is considered a soar basically ?

How long is it before it is considered a soar basically ?
It is covered in the other thread though my quick response would be when the wings are not flapping but held outstretched and using any slight breeze or thermal to circle or rise.

I only have real experience with peregrine, hobby, sparrowhawk, buzzard and red kite, as pretty much all my birding is done in London. For what it's worth, I tend to link the term "soar" with the use of thermals, but it would be more accurate to describe it as any situation where a raptor (or indeed other bird - gull, raven, cormorant etc) is relatively high up with its wings set, as opposed to flapping flight.

I'd suggest when you spot a bird on the soar to try to figure out whether it is one of the three main groups - broad-winged raptors (buzzard, kite, eagles - large raptors with long broad wings), Accipiter hawks (long tails, shorter broad wings), or falcons (long, narrower, pointy wings). Once you have done so you can determine the exact species by its size, shape and style of flight.

It's worth just watching birds known to be buzzards (or indeed known to be any species, really) for long stretches, for as long and as far out as your viewpoint will permit; with time you'll become familiar with this species over different distances and angles, and build up a firm mental image of its manner of flight, size and shape, so that when you see something different, it'll tend to stand out.

Species that have had me scratching my head on occasion:

Common buzzard vs red kite - not a problem so long as the kite's long tail is visible, but it may not be that obvious at great distances or at certain angles. The buzzard often soars in a very straight-winged manner, with wings angled slightly "forward" - if I see a bird doing this I can feel confident it is a buzzard. The kite often shows more "elbow", but be aware that buzzards can do this too, especially when heading upwind.

Peregrine vs hobby - you won't confuse a female peregrine with a male hobby, but at the right (or wrong!) distance, some tiercel peregrines can be confusing enough to require a very careful look. Juvenile tiercels, which are around at this time of the year, have slightly longer tails and can have a more flappy style of flight than the adults. Even a male peregrine is deeper-bodied and has broader wings proportionately - but if it's too far to show those features you may just have to follow it around until it either comes closer or does something unmistakable, like catching insects.

Quick note re sparrowhawks - at least in my area they do soar, more often in spring and autumn. With their broad wings and light weight they are better soarers than one might think; closely related species such as the Japanese sparrowhawk migrate considerable distances. Quite a few of these soaring flights end in a steeply-angled stoop into the treetops/rooftops, which though it may not have the speed and power of a peregrine's, is nonetheless still quite enthralling to watch. This species isn't too difficult to identify most of the time, although on a couple of occasions I've been unsure whether the small raptor I was following was a sparrowhawk or a kestrel with wings fully spread for maximum lift. If the bird starts circling the different angles of view should soon tell you which it is. If not, just follow it around - if it's a kestrel there's a good chance it will start hovering.

Good luck in your observations and let us know next time you see something interesting!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back