• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: The Sky Rover Banner Cloud 8 x 42 Binocular (3 Viewers)

In my mind they don’t need to do that, but the general opinion seems to be that they are either equal to, or nearly equal to the top alpha models, or at least that’s what I think I’m reading.
I suppose that's understandable when reading observations like this (written by someone invested in the SRBC, no doubt, lol).

I'll try to check it out myself when I get the chance, most probably at the end of the year. I'm expecting a binocular with mechanicals similar to comparably priced Opticron etc but better optics, possibly a good bit better, but we'll see.

Also make sure to check for oil droplets on the internal glass and "rainbow spikes".
Well, my first sample has oil droplets on an internal glass surface and optically still „beats“ most of the glasses in my bino collection with high image brightness and excellent sharpness / contrast. I just wonder how much better my second sample - which the Singapore shop I am buying from is specifically checking before dispatch - will perform. I honestly don‘t think it can be even better … ;)

The Bushnell Legend M created much excitement here years back too.
I wonder how much of these will sell world wide, likely the most in china and some here in the US and Europe. I just do not see these at current $$$ being a great seller, and additionally they have a ways to go to make a consistent product.
Enjoy your BCs.

Why is it so hard for many here to believe that a much more inexpensive binocular can come so close or even be equal optically to a so called Alpha costing three to four times more ?
No, what people don't believe is that the overall quality and durability are equal. And if that weren't enough, then there are subtle preferences in color, contrast etc which reviewers of SRBC haven't even got into yet...

Because things cannot be that must not be.
All their prized 'alpha' binos would suddenly not be so alpha anymore. They would no longer be so exclusive. The immense amounts of money they spent on them would suddenly be wasted because now some common oik who doesn't give a fig about the perceived cachet of a Swaro NL could enjoy the same good view which they believed to be their private and precious domain. Never mind the fact, that even if the quality of those Chinese bins isn't quite up to snuff, one can buy nearly seven SRBCs for the price of one NL which almost makes sending them for repairs moot. Let us also not forget that for many this attitude is a matter of clownish politics and crude propaganda.

And the so-called alphas cost what they do for a number of reasons: cachet, marketing, quality, r&d, and because people will pay the asking price. Especially now that even those companies are beginning to move production to cheap labour countries like China, Phillipines, etc. in order to drop the price a little bit while still increasing profit margins. If they kept production here they would go out of business because even most of the 'alphisti' will eventually find that their pockets are not deep enough to afford alphas actually MADE in western Europe. Except maybe one or two that even flaunt their wealth to make themselves feel better than the rest of us here. (I do not mean folks like @chill6x6 who just love sharing pix of their nice collection)
I also trust Canip's and Mssrs. Merlitz and English's appraisal of those bins. Will I now rush out to buy one and have it sent over from China? No, because I am happy with what I have and do not suffer from envy and resentment.
No envy or resentment? What then motivates this rant? "Reverse snobbery" is the best I've been able to come up with, for gratuitously assuming snobbery in others. Simply preferring premium/alpha bins to less expensive ones that will do the job (despite issues of mechanical quality or QC) isn't snobbery. Enjoying using them for the decades they're built to last isn't snobbery. I can think of only one member here whose posts can seem to verge on flaunting expensive optics; in any case it's rare enough to make one wonder what your problem is. You could easily say that you find alphas overpriced and SRBCs attractive, but instead you cast aspersions on people who like and buy alphas. Why? What is so necessary here for you to believe? Who would mock the inferior taste or resources of people who buy cheaper ones?

Don't misunderstand me, I don't want to rehash the usual arguments about binoculars themselves; I want to know why you interpret alpha bins as flaunting of wealth? They only cost a couple thousand dollars, while so many other much more expensive possessions would be more effective for anyone who really wanted to flaunt wealth... and wouldn't be wasting time here.

This is so tiresome.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back