• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

problems birdwatching in egypt / red sea sites? (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
thinking of a winter break involving a few days on the nile and then the red sea coast/Luxor. Interested in suggestions on best place to go on red sea coast in Jan/Feb time (which i know isn't ideal !) that would also allow a bit of tranquility and a nice reef to snorkel on from the beach ! I don't ask for much i know.

Also read a few reports that suggest there can be problems with the local police/army if you are using bins/camera etc in many places and some had kit taken at worst. Is this still an issue ? If so everywhere or just specific areas ?

thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,
All of the Red Sea is lovely, especially in the early months of the year. I am situated in Sharm el sheikh which is beautiful and full of birds. The best place to see birds is Nabq area and Mangrobi (a bedouin village beside the mangroves just north of Sharm). St Katherines Monastery is also incredible. If you can, try to stay overnight in St. Katherine's area (plenty of hotels etc), as there are many unexplored oases and wadis in this area, teeming wih wildlife.
There are only restrictions with filming near military zones which are usually clearly signposted.
Welcome to Egypt!
SD

Suez in March and April is stunning but the military presence made it very awkward at times, but cigarettes (I don't smoke) went down well. I haven't visited in the months you mention but the above reply is worthy.

Go to the OSME website for some trip reports.....or why not join us?

John

SD/John

thanks for your comments.
I was looking more at the Hurghada/El Gouna/Soma areas but perhaps Sharm is a better option for birds ? I'm sure March/April would be a better time to visit but it will need to be a Jan/feb trip so hopefully there will be plenty of winter visitors to make up fro the lack of migrants in transit !

i had a look at the OSME site but couldn't see any relevant articles - perhaps i was looking in the wrong place ?

Tony

regards

Tony

There are areas in the Nile delta that are very good in mid-winter, all possible on an easy trip out from Cairo (I regularly took a water taxi from the centre) - Great Black-headed Gulls, Bluethroats, the Thick-knees, etc, etc.

Jos

thanks - we are planning a 4-5 day nile trip followed by an equivalent period on the red sea coast. I've read a little on the nile and believe the area around aswan is esp good (inc crocodile island...or similar?). However i was hoping to find a good resort on the red sea where we can snorkel from the beach (ie no need for a boat trip out to a reef) and also see a good selection of birds. I think Cairo might be out of range.

Tony

SD/John

thanks for your comments.
I was looking more at the Hurghada/El Gouna/Soma areas but perhaps Sharm is a better option for birds ? I'm sure March/April would be a better time to visit but it will need to be a Jan/feb trip so hopefully there will be plenty of winter visitors to make up fro the lack of migrants in transit !

i had a look at the OSME site but couldn't see any relevant articles - perhaps i was looking in the wrong place ?

Tony

regards

Tony

Tony, did you click on trip reports. Their may be something in there (I haven't read them all)

John.

Jos

thanks - we are planning a 4-5 day nile trip followed by an equivalent period on the red sea coast. I've read a little on the nile and believe the area around aswan is esp good (inc crocodile island...or similar?). However i was hoping to find a good resort on the red sea where we can snorkel from the beach (ie no need for a boat trip out to a reef) and also see a good selection of birds. I think Cairo might be out of range.

Tony

The Nile islands around Aswan are very good for all the specialities, plus if you can get down to Abu Simbel there are chances of Sub-Saharan extras, eg African Pied Wagtail, Yellow-billed Stork, etc.

If at Luxor, take a walk in the meadows upriver from where you land when crossing the Nile to visit the Valley of Kings, etc. Nice selection in easy birding - I saw White-tailed Lapwing here, plus a good mix of others.

John/Jos

thanks again.

Jos I gather Abu Simbel is quite a hike and luckily i saw african pied wagtail and yellow billed stork in Tanzania in Feb this year so will probably give this a miss. The Nile sounds great (I'm hoping that the boats are close enough to the banks to give good views of the herons/kingfishers etc !??) - just need to fix the red sea resort now !

Tony

John/Jos

thanks again.

Jos I gather Abu Simbel is quite a hike and luckily i saw african pied wagtail and yellow billed stork in Tanzania in Feb this year so will probably give this a miss. The Nile sounds great (I'm hoping that the boats are close enough to the banks to give good views of the herons/kingfishers etc !??) - just need to fix the red sea resort now !

Tony

Pied Kingfishers will probably be sitting on the boat, they are rather abundant. Abu Simbel is quite a hike, albeit an impressive place in itself.

As for Red Sea, I would guess all are going to result in the usual species, though for snorkelling from the beach, rather than taking a boat, I'd say the Sinai sites are likely to be better, not necessarily only at Sharm el Sheikh

Perhaps you may consider mid May for a visit to Hurghada. The advantage to this being that Sooty Falcon and Bridled Terns are in by that time; there is still a small amount of songbird passage (eg Bee-eaters, Orphean/Ruppells/Olive Tree Warblers) plus Honey Buzzard passage.
We did a week there, with 1 night spent at Luxor (Crocodile Island for NV Sunbird, Painted Snipe, Senegal Thick Knee).A good time was had by all.

I went to Egypt in april/may 2008 and saw the species mentioned except for the Bridled Tern, they were not back yet, did see African Skimmer at Abu Simbel which is a good bird considering their small population.

Anyway, you are asking for a resort and i can recommend Shams Alam. In winter 2006/2007 there were reports of Black Bush Robin, Grey Hypocolius and Isabelline Shrike in these gardens. The Isabelline Shrikes where still there (3 where seen) when I visited in late april. You can dive from the beach which is private and about 1 km long and reported to be a good diving location. They also have a diving centre with boats next door! The resort is one of the most southern you will find in Egypt.

Now for the bad news... first of all there are some all inclusive tours most notable... Italians so you might have to face some cutural differencs (no offence). It also quite expensive compared to Hurghada and you are quite isolated. There is a small airfield about 50 km to the north but I don't think you can rent a car there. You can rent quad bikes near Sham Alam resort and there is also a small shopping centre with internet café (satellite so not cheap!).

Nearby (3km walk) is also the Wadi Gemal national park which could be nice to explore. There is a very basic visitor centre (ask for mr Sayid or Said) maybe the ranger can give you some usefull info for that period (during my visit humes owl and ruppels fox). About 6 km into the Wadi there is some sort of tourist operation with very friendly staff. They know some birds if you show them a drawing and can arrange transportation (camels/cars/4wd). My advice is to arrange transport with them and some guide from the rangers, this way you will have more control over your trip…

You want more specifics just PM me...

Oh and cigarettes are indeed always appreciated.

Last edited:
I posted a little bit about Na'ama and Nabq in Birds and birding forum rather than here - dunno why. It's pretty general info but if it's any good to you it's still there.

Diving is obviously excellent around Sharm through the usual channels but for anyone with worries about water depth the snorkelling in the shallows of Nabq bay is totally safe, laid back and very warm.

Sinai dreamer

In March we are spending 5 nights at the Hyatt in Na'ama bay - looks like its at the eastern end of the bay. I expect most of my birdwatching will be early in the morning.

Can you recommend the best sites in walking distance from the Hyatt? Do you know if its possible to hire a bicycle for a few days and if so where should i should then head thats within say 3-4 miles ?

I've done some research and it looks like day trips to Ras Mohammed and Nabq would be good though not too sure exactly where to head for when we arrive, as they both cover large areas.

I think St catherine's monastry is probably too far for a day trip given its apparently 250km from Sharm.

Birdbox - I can't find the postings you refered to above...can you point me in the right direction

I very much appreciate any help or guidance you can give.

thanks

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back