• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem zoom F3, parabola and shotgun mic (1 Viewer)

Avetarda

Spain
I plug in the stereo parabolic microphone and only listen through one earpiece. Recordings are also heard through a single earpiece and speaker. When I go into the menu to set up the input mic, I do hear from both while I'm in the menu, but when I exit the menu, it's no longer heard. What am I doing wrong, what parameters should I change?

I´ve also tried a Sennheiser mk 66 mic and the same thing happens to me. It will be a configuration problem, but I don't know which.

Did you read page 31 of the manual?, may be one channel is set to off. Otherwise if it is still under warranty, send it back for a replacement.

I have had a quick look at the manual. If you are using only one microphone set up the file format to “mono”.

Attachments

• Operation Manual - Help Center  ZOOM.png
    Operation Manual - Help Center ZOOM.png
    573.9 KB · Views: 5
I dont understand the question. I connect the stereo dish to a channel 1, for example.
The Zoom F3 has two channels, if used for stereo, one channel is left and the other channel is right. So for stereo you have to plug in two connectors. If you think you get stereo with only one channel then your wrong, you get mono.

I dont understand the question. I connect the stereo dish to a channel 1, for example.
Ok that explains it!

Well, first problem solved. If you connect only one microphone you meed to set it up in mono. Other more sophisticated recorders may have a "Pan" control for each channel, which you sould set to centre in that case.

Now, microphones. A stereo microphone is actually two microphones, not one. I imagine it has a mini jack connection wired to the two microphone elements.

I imagine you are using a mini jack to XLR adapter to connect to the recorder. The trouble is, the XLR input channel is a balanced input (two wires plus ground per channel) while the mini hack has two unbalanced channels.

So: you need an adapter for a streo microphone, from a mini jack to two XLR connectors so that you use both recorder channels with the stereo microphone.

What stereo microphone are you using?

Ok that explains it!

Well, first problem solved. If you connect only one microphone you meed to set it up in mono. Other more sophisticated recorders may have a "Pan" control for each channel, which you sould set to centre in that case.

Now, microphones. A stereo microphone is actually two microphones, not one. I imagine it has a mini jack connection wired to the two microphone elements.

I imagine you are using a mini jack to XLR adapter to connect to the recorder. The trouble is, the XLR input channel is a balanced input (two wires plus ground per channel) while the mini hack has two unbalanced channels.

So: you need an adapter for a streo microphone, from a mini jack to two XLR connectors so that you use both recorder channels with the stereo microphone.

What stereo microphone are you using?
I use Dodotronic stereo (dish). I've a RØDE VXLR - Cable XLR a jack for I can use the zoom f3.
So, I would need another stereo plug and not this Rode one I use?
Sorry because I don't have a lot of knowledge about this already. It's very technical

I see.

They have an adapter that is supposed to solve that problem and that supports phantom power.

But I would suggest you to ask them. I have checked the manual and I am not 100% sure it will be compatible. It should.

Which variant of the parabolic microphone did you get?

I've parabolic mic DODOTRONIC AOM 2x.

I've seen this other plug and I think it can also work for me:

What would be the consequences of recording without this adapter? mono recordings or some other problem?

I've parabolic mic DODOTRONIC AOM 2x.

I've seen this other plug and I think it can also work for me:

I think it will work.

What would be the consequences of recording without this adapter? mono recordings or some other problem?
Well, depending on how the two microphone capsules are wired to the mini jack you can have sound cancellation or a weird effect turning the two capsules into a bidirectional microphone for which the blind axis would be perpendicular to the parabola.

So, you need to connect it properly if you want real stereo. Also, the phantom power supplied by a recorder on a XLR connector is 48 V (although I see that the F3 can switch to 24 V).

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back